• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to see some DIY!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a kid I loved all of the old classic movies and books. Swiss Family Robinson, old Dan'l, Davie, old yeller, Tom n Huck, they were all my friends. Anything that spawned an adventure for me, I was all in! I've run the gambit hunting using archery, air, modern etc...
But now I'm into BP.

My camping experience is pretty much the same. Years of survival training and experience has given me many 2 week adventures over the years living with barely anything. I have also hauled and set up a virtual tent city with all the latest and greatest stuff for month long camps with the family down on the river.

Now that the kids are older and have lives of their own, and my wife is getting to where she can no longer camp, the BP journey has helped me make the decision to slow down my adventures a bit. I no longer yearn for bushcraft shelters or spending 2 days hauling and setting up a camp site. I have moved towards a more traditional type of camping. I couldn't care less about being historically correct (it's just not MY thing right now), but I am using materials and tech from late 1800s- early 1900s (leather, canvas, sisal ropes, skins, etc...)

My next piece of tech will be a tent. I've used plenty of modern tarps and know about 50 ways to set them up. I've made a canvas ships hammock that I use some. But I want a tent I can set up for a solo camp on the creek or river for a week or two. My budget is non-existent as usual. So I want to make my own.

I'd like to see and hear about your DIY tents. Please tell me what the style is, and what materials were used. Maybe some dimensions or drawings? What are the pros and cons of the design?

Look forward to seeing what ya made!

Last edited:
I've made a basic tent but upgraded. There is a newer camping that is gaining traction and that is motor camping. Basically reliving the dawn of motor camping across America (1930's and older).

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_123756.jpg
    IMG_20230922_123756.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230922_123813.jpg
    IMG_20230922_123813.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230922_123822.jpg
    IMG_20230922_123822.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230922_123809.jpg
    IMG_20230922_123809.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230922_123802.jpg
    IMG_20230922_123802.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 0
I made one before but it was many years ago and I have no pictures. Keep in mind I'm in Florida so the main requirement of a tent is to keep the rain and bugs off of you.

Don't remember what I use for the tart but I know for mosquito net I went to yard sales or thrift stores and found sheer curtains. They are polyester or something like that and extremely fine and will last many years outdoors.

Sparkplug, if you are a Facebook user there is a very fine group going by the name Early 20th Century Sportsmen, 1890-1930. The focus is on that "Golden Age of Camping" that the commodore referred to. If you want it in print, you want Dave Wescott's "Camping in the Old Style."

Sparkplug, if you are a Facebook user there is a very fine group going by the name Early 20th Century Sportsmen, 1890-1930. The focus is on that "Golden Age of Camping" that the commodore referred to. If you want it in print, you want Dave Wescott's "Camping in the Old Style."
Thanks!
I usually avoid FakeBook, but that may be worth gettin on there for.

Back