• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to blast some wasp nests...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smoothshooter said:
Interesting. Any idea why that works? Maybe they think the bag is a large nest from from a meaner species (hornets?) and leave.
But I suppose if I could get close enough to the nest to hang the bag nearby I might as well throw gas on them while I was there and be done with it.
One of the nice things about using gasoline is you don't have to get all that close. Even if you just get the gas on part of the nest it usually makes them abandon it permanently in a few hours.

Yes, they think it's a hornets nest, and bug out.

Butterfly collectors use # 12 lead dust. Why not do it right with firearms components instead buggering your gun with salt, construction gravel, faceted ball bearings, etc?

A friend of mine loaded some 12 gauge shells with popcorn to shoot sparrows in a shed. he found out popcorn goes clean through tin.

Since colony collapse disorder I stopped my war on such critters.....never had a problem with wasps in my neck of the woods.....they don't sting.
Heck, I even stopped mowing a section of my lawn last week that had clover flowering in it when I noticed bees pollinating the clover.
No pollinators no food.

Sure wasps are predators and not pollinators but still no need to kill them....

Having shot rice before I would try Britt's suggestion over sand.

colorado clyde said:
A friend of mine loaded some 12 gauge shells with popcorn to shoot sparrows in a shed. he found out popcorn goes clean through tin.

Since colony collapse disorder I stopped my war on such critters.....never had a problem with wasps in my neck of the woods.....they don't sting.
Heck, I even stopped mowing a section of my lawn last week that had clover flowering in it when I noticed bees pollinating the clover.
No pollinators no food.

Sure wasps are predators and not pollinators but still no need to kill them....

Having shot rice before I would try Britt's suggestion over sand.
That is funny, I have a large patch of lawn I am letting go wild for the exact same reasons. I was out in the yard a few days ago and noticed that my clover was absolutely buzzing with bee's so I decided when we mow the lawn a large chunk of it is to remain uncut.

Snakes, spiders n Bee's OH MY. I am fearful of anything that flys and is armed with a stinger, anything that uses more legs than me to crawl and bites and anything that slithers and strikes.

Now why didn't I think of that when I was a teenager?

"No mom. I'm not going out there and mow the lawn today.

It would ruin all of the pollen and stuff for the bees and then they couldn't make honey and without honey the bears would get real hungry and the next thing you know, they will be eating people and I wouldn't want to see you end up on a bear's menu." :grin:

"Ya. I know, the bears are a good 50 miles from here with nothing but desert between them and us but you never know. If they get really hungry they might make it clear down here."

"But, there is some burr clover out there in a few tiny spots and I hear that bees love clover.
I bet they would love Bermuda grass too if we ever let all of those scraggly seed stalks grow up like they do when someone isn't out there mowing them off." :hmm:

"No mow, NO MONEY?"

"But mom. I've got to have some money for gas.
Dad said he'd strangle me the next time I siphoned some gas out of his car and I think he really meant it after he got stranded half way to work the other day."

"OKAY BEES." "DON'T BLAME ME! IT'S MY MOM'S FAULT."

"Now, where did I hide that lawnmower starter rope?
Oh ya. It's keeping my sleeping bag rolled up." :(

I have really tough hide...bees and such just bounce off.....even snakes have a hard time finding a soft spot on me......but I don't like anything that slithers :rotf:

I was once bitten by a snake and after 3 days of agony and suffering .....The snake died. :rotf:

I kill all spiders immediately but I leave the other two strictly alone. I have used that sweet spray stuff that shoots 25 feet a time or two (on individual :shocked2: bee/wasps!) If I had a hive I would hire it moved (and keep the wax and nest, but leave the sweet stuff for SomeBODY else) LOL

I have used the little round Barry's from hackberry trees to remove wasp nests from a barn. It worked well and did not damage the barn wood. My load was about 60 grains of 2F.

I'm with CC and Cynthialee on this one, at least with wasps, hornets and bees. If you don't bother them...they won't bother you. And they all serve a useful purpose.

Had a basketball sized wasp nest on the house, right out side my front door, at head level. My daughter and I stood and watched them building it.
One would occasionally fly over and check us out, but no stinging. Lasted all summer, till first frost, when a woodpecker latched on to the bottom of it and ate right through the whole thing!

Yellow jackets are another thing - they get gassed. :grin:

On those few occasions when I harvested wasp nests to try as wadding, I just waited until winter when the wasps had left the nests and then knocked them down. But, since I am not into being hostorically correct, I gave up on wasp nest since I saw no real advantage to it other than being HC. Now, I use felt wads that I lubricate and punch out myself. But, if you want to use wasp nests, look for them during the summer and then wait until they are abandoned in the winter to harvest them.

Back