• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WASP NEST WADDING?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES!!! I like to ask well on behalf of the new guys/gals starting out as well as my own, I checked a few sources, well IT makes perfect sense, something in the saliva of paper wasp a flame retardant I have seen few here posting on using. For us new guys there are questions, Do you use the whole nest? Are the nests dried? Summarily like patch work set ball cut off a plug? Poking at em with a stick, well lets just say it is not the best way of getting them vacated, (DO NOT ASK!!!). How does one go about getting started? Other than flame retardant are there other benefits? I figure others can benefit from the open post
I haven't read all the posts, but here's my thoughts.
I tried using old abandoned nest, it's much easier if they've moved out.
I used it as wadding in my smoothbores, but wasn't impressed at all. I had lots of blow-by and really made my charges weak, compared to regular over powder wads.
I tossed it and never looked back.
Maybe if that's was all I had, or tried it more the results may have been better. But with card wads a penny each it didn't seem viable.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
YES!!! I like to ask well on behalf of the new guys/gals starting out as well as my own, I checked a few sources, well IT makes perfect sense, something in the saliva of paper wasp a flame retardant I have seen few here posting on using. For us new guys there are questions, Do you use the whole nest? Are the nests dried? Summarily like patch work set ball cut off a plug? Poking at em with a stick, well lets just say it is not the best way of getting them vacated, (DO NOT ASK!!!). How does one go about getting started? Other than flame retardant are there other benefits? I figure others can benefit from the open post
I've read in a few books, one was titled "Hunting and Trapping the Great Plains" if my memory is correct, where the ones who came before us used pieces from Hornets nests. Im sure I still have that book somewhere. I'll see if I can locate it.

I gotta say I am VERY IMPRESSED, with the wasp nest as wad, I took a few shots with the wasp nest accuracy was not tanked as I initially thought it would be and well I am a sabot nut but if I can get a nest large enough to equip a .50 Cal I actually prefer the nest. 1) flame retardant 2) loads so much easier even after a round or two. I do not pass em up these days, and keep a can or two of wasp spray on hand
Can you explain some of that?
You used it in what gun?
How can Wasp nest be compared to "sabot" in it's application with traditional arms?
What is "not tanked" when applied to accuracy?
And what do you need the Wasp spray for?

Last edited:
Use hornets nest ... There's a bunch of it so it lasts a long time and you use the outer layer ,not the actual nest which may have larvae in it which , naturally, is a bad idea to use. Collect them in the winter and folks are more than happy to let you have them . Works great too ...

When I was but a puppy, back in the mid '50s and my Grandfather would take me squirrel hunting with his .36 cal Ohio flintlock. He would tell stories about when he was young and he had to use paper from a hornet nest as a patch. He said he would cut the outer layers into strips then the strips were cut into squares to fit around the ball. To load he would dump a measure of powder down the bore, put a square in his mouth to dampen it then seat the ball over it at the muzzle and ram it home.
He was happy that those days were over and he used strips of ticking cut at the muzzle with spit as a lube. I can't remember him ever missing a squirrel head shot with his load. He would even let me use the Ohio to take a shot once in a while. Sure wish I had that rifle now, but my older brother wound up with it when Grandpa passed away.
I carried a Page-Lewis model B Sharp Shooter falling block .22LR which I still have.

The good stuff ! :). Hornets nest , outside material

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_104557.jpg
    IMG_20230606_104557.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_104547.jpg
    IMG_20230606_104547.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Back