• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to blast some wasp nests...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that long-range poison spray. It freakin' kills on contact. Make sure you start at the hole.

25 meters or so with a 410 and no7 shot and be done with it. Aim high so yus ken knock it down good and proper.

Maybe 30 years ago there was a big nest (well over a foot in dia and at least a foot and a half long) in some bushes near houses and where kids played and a few got stung. After dark and in light rain I jambed a big funnel in the entrance hole and a neighbor pored the gasoline in. he then cut the branches away while I held the funnel in place. We dumped it in middle of a dirt road and some one added the fire! there must have been a hundred thousand yellow jackets come crawling out of the fire! (pretty sure they were yellow jackets) None survived as far as I know.

Have her get you some cyrsanthimum oil. Wont hurt anything excpt some bugs...and wasp are one of those.Takes about 10 seconds to work. They run from it, or fly from it, then crash. It mixxis with water and you can use it in a sprayer. Hit a nest and in a moment it looks like an old WW2 movie. You can shoot them on the wing. I'm embaressed to say...but its lots of fun :wink:

Ain't the web wonderful?

Well, some times it is.

I just did a search on Chrysanthemum oil and found that it contains pyrethrins.

That's the same stuff a lot of the better bug killers have in them but according to the web, it really doesn't kill most bugs.

It does imobilize them for a while and if another insect killer is also present, the killer will do them in.

I'm only mentioning this so one of you don't get to counting on the pyrethrins and find your enemy is recovering and where it was just slightly irritated before, NOW it's really ******. :rotf:

Why not poison them?
I usually put a few ounces of gasoline in a cup or tin can, throw it on the nest, and get out of the area quickly.
Works every time if properly executed. Gasoline evaporates in a couple of hours.

Zonie said:
Ain't the web wonderful?

Well, some times it is.

It does imobilize them for a while and if another insect killer is also present, the killer will do them in.

I'm only mentioning this so one of you don't get to counting on the pyrethrins and find your enemy is recovering and where it was just slightly irritated before, NOW it's really ******. :rotf:

:rotf: That was GREAT!! :thumbsup: I laughed so hard I spit coffee all over the computer screen. :rotf:

I use em for fire makin and I always shoot them down with a bb gun or my 32 and leave them on the ground for a day or so and there gone the larva are still good if ya wanna fish with em or eat em.

hanshi said:
If you can get within about 10 feet or so, a simple blank powder charge will knock the nest down and kill everything in it. I've done this with big wasp nests and my .32 rifle; if that tiny charge will clear out a big wasp nest a .50 or .54 will work as well as a cobalt bomb.

That's what I do with a .36

Alexander

Tinker2 said:
hanshi said:
If you can get within about 10 feet or so, a simple blank powder charge will knock the nest down and kill everything in it. I've done this with big wasp nests and my .32 rifle; if that tiny charge will clear out a big wasp nest a .50 or .54 will work as well as a cobalt bomb.

That's what I do with a .36

Alexander
I thought I was the only who tried that. At the time all I had was a .54 and it worked great.

We call those Ground Hornets down here, they are fat an chubby looking, the long skinny yellow wasps are called yellow jackets, they are the ones that build their nests in the corners of your house etc. Then there are the red wasps (dark red down here) which are born mean and will sting you just for fun.

armakiller said:
We call those Ground Hornets down here, they are fat an chubby looking, the long skinny yellow wasps are called yellow jackets, they are the ones that build their nests in the corners of your house etc. Then there are the red wasps (dark red down here) which are born mean and will sting you just for fun.

I once got swarmed by yellow jackets. Every sting felt like I was shot, very painful. And, I got sick. I now have to have an epi pen near me whenever outside.

Get a paper bag, the kind you would pack a lunch in, keep bag "inflated", tie off opening, hang 6' to 8' away from nest. The buggers will leave on their own. We have done this around the outside of the house, and we have no wasps. We used to have a very large numbers of nests spring up in the spring.

Interesting. Any idea why that works? Maybe they think the bag is a large nest from from a meaner species (hornets?) and leave.
But I suppose if I could get close enough to the nest to hang the bag nearby I might as well throw gas on them while I was there and be done with it.
One of the nice things about using gasoline is you don't have to get all that close. Even if you just get the gas on part of the nest it usually makes them abandon it permanently in a few hours.

Used it heavy on wasp, wont kill a lot of bugs but drops wasp well. Used it for years in arkansas where the red wasp is the state bird. Works on wood borer wasp and ground bees

Back