• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a Pistol Smith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabofdoom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a smith willing to work on BP revolvers...specificly the Ruger Old Army.

What I am looking to have done is the barrel on a 7.5 inch ROA cut to 4 inches. Befor everyone starts cryingf haresy, I have 2 and cant seem to find a 5.5 inch barrel and if I am going to cut the barrel of one, I will have it cut short and then fit a blackhawk birdshead grip frame to it

I know many have cut their own barrels, and if I had the facilities I might be tempted to give it a go...on a less expensive pistol.

Thanks in advance

Cabofdoom said:
I was wondering if anyone knew of a smith willing to work on BP revolvers...specificly the Ruger Old Army.

What I am looking to have done is the barrel on a 7.5 inch ROA cut to 4 inches. Befor everyone starts cryingf haresy, I have 2 and cant seem to find a 5.5 inch barrel and if I am going to cut the barrel of one, I will have it cut short and then fit a blackhawk birdshead grip frame to it

I know many have cut their own barrels, and if I had the facilities I might be tempted to give it a go...on a less expensive pistol.

Thanks in advance
Will the loading lever allow shortening to this length?
It will make it harder to load.
Dan

I have a couple of Colts that I shortened which included shortening the loading lever.

Here is a couple of great gunsmith who can do the job:

Jamey Andrews (Gunsmith at Dixie Gun Works)
1-731-885-0700

David Chicoine www.oldwestgunsmith.com

Jamey did my two Colts and David has been working on my guns for over 30 years. He even custom built a Colt Bisley for me.

Good Luck - Happy Shooting, and Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
why not send it to ruger's coustom shop and have it fitted with a new short barrel? that is what i did with a n.m. blackhawk i have with a 7.5" barrel. having a 4 5/8 barrel put on and a .45 acp cylander fitted too.

the prices are not bad. the only way you are going to beat them is if you take it someone hith a hacksaw and a file.

Back