• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1873 Cattleman Cap and Ball Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sound Tribe

40 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the 1873 Cattleman black powder revolvers for sale anywhere recently? I really like the 3.5" barrel birdshead grip models or even the 4.75" Quickdraw version but I don't really want Pietta's barrel markings on this gun

As far as models made by Uberti, lately all I have seen is the 5.5" barrel Artillery model for sale. According to Taylor's they make the Birdshead 3.5", Quickdraw 4.75", Artillery 5.5", and Cavalry 7.5" versions but they are on back order for $600+

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/sho...der-handguns/1873-cattleman-black-powder.html

I have seen Pietta offer a 5.5" and 4.75" model though

I am on the fence of going for the Uberti Artillery 5.5" model or the Pietta Quickdraw 4.75" model...

So, what would be harder to do for a gunsmith and/or cost more:

Buying the Pietta 4.75" model and removing the barrel markings and possibly need to be reblued?
OR
Buying the Uberti 5.5" model and can have the barrel cut and crowned to 4.75" while keeping a nice finish?

Any input is much appreciated and if anyone has a line on either the Uberti Birdshead (3.5") or Quickdraw (4.75") models please let me know!

Last edited:
The models shown in the link you provided are NOT cap & ball muzzleloaders, they are, what we call around here, “unmentionables” as they are, unfortunately, not discussed here.
They're cap and ball.

Maybe youre looking at the wrong page? I linked the .44 caliber black powder percussion revolvers.

It even says so in the URL

Last edited:
Umm nope. The link you posted takes you right to the Colt cartridge revolvers.
Not for me. You have to click the link itself, not copy & paste it, maybe that's the problem.

I am talking about cap and ball percussion revolvers and only posted the link to show the different model options, here is where the link brings me to:

Screenshot_20240318_221600_Chrome.jpg

I guess I can remove it and just leave this picture if that helps erase any confusion

Last edited:
I do apologize for confusing things.

This is the first I have ever seen a model P manufactured to where it will use percussion caps. Never seen one before.

Learn something new every day. Sorry.
No worries, that's partly why I am so intrigued by them, I haven't seen the birdshead model anywhere else besides Taylor's.

They even used to make a Bisley model but I know I won't find one anywhere unless maybe used on the classifieds.

So, what would be harder to do for a gunsmith and/or cost more:

Buying the Pietta 4.75" model and removing the barrel markings and possibly need to be reblued?
OR
Buying the Uberti 5.5" model and can have the barrel cut and crowned to 4.75" while keeping a nice finish? plus possibly fix any short arbor or other internal issues

Any input is much appreciated and if anyone has a line on either the Uberti Birdshead (3.5") or Quickdraw (4.75") models please let me know!
Personally, I'm more interested in the traditionally styled percussion revolvers, but I guess these cap & ball "Cattlemen" do have a place in the blackpowder shooting world. I suppose in the states and municipalities where modern handguns are tightly regulated, these might be an alternative. If one is used to the feel of a Colt Model P and wanted to shoot cap and ball, these might do the job.

I would guess that removing the graffiti from the Pietta barrel and getting it reblued would likely be the cheaper option. If you cut a barrel, even as little as .75", you'll be paying for a new front sight, as well as an additional fee for test firing to get it regulated. Also getting it crowned and likely reblued. Cutting a revolver barrel is a bigger job than you might think, and who knows what other problems the gunsmith may discover when he tears into it. The short arbor issue with Uberti revolvers is a problem specific to the open-top Colt-style guns, so you should not have to worry about that with your Cattleman. That's good, because you might very well double the cost of your revolver as it is. You'll need a good loading stand for that gun, too.

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you don't want to wait, you may want to just get one of the models that is available, even if it isn't exactly what you want. Shoot it and learn to like it. If you decide later to sell it, you'll probably get more for it if it has not been modified.

If I may, I would suggest that you look through the more traditional cap and ball revolvers that Taylors has to offer. They do have some short-barreled ones in stock.

Good luck, my friend!

Notchy Bob

Personally, I'm more interested in the traditionally styled percussion revolvers, but I guess these cap & ball "Cattlemen" do have a place in the blackpowder shooting world. I suppose in the states and municipalities where modern handguns are tightly regulated, these might be an alternative. If one is used to the feel of a Colt Model P and wanted to shoot cap and ball, these might do the job.

I would guess that removing the graffiti from the Pietta barrel and getting it reblued would likely be the cheaper option. If you cut a barrel, even as little as .75", you'll be paying for a new front sight, as well as an additional fee for test firing to get it regulated. Also getting it crowned and likely reblued. Cutting a revolver barrel is a bigger job than you might think, and who knows what other problems the gunsmith may discover when he tears into it. The short arbor issue with Uberti revolvers is a problem specific to the open-top Colt-style guns, so you should not have to worry about that with your Cattleman. That's good, because you might very well double the cost of your revolver as it is. You'll need a good loading stand for that gun, too.

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you don't want to wait, you may want to just get one of the models that is available, even if it isn't exactly what you want. Shoot it and learn to like it. If you decide later to sell it, you'll probably get more for it if it has not been modified.

If I may, I would suggest that you look through the more traditional cap and ball revolvers that Taylors has to offer. They do have some short-barreled ones in stock.

Good luck, my friend!

Notchy Bob
Thanks for the info on the gunsmithing options

I own most of the cap and ball revolvers out there and I know for sure I want to try out the 1873s. I already use a loading stand for my Remingtons and short barrel Colts, I will probably pick up a base pin removal tool for it though.

On Uberti's website there are 2 different models with different cylinder pins. I am not sure which is the default, as I have only seen choices for brass or steel triggerguards.

But yeah I probably will just end up getting a 5.5" Uberti. I wasn't thinking much about the internals being totally different compared to the open top Uberti Colts, so thats a huge plus.

Last edited:
Good luck with your purchase. I can highly recommend the Uberti 1873 black powder. It's one of my favorites. Like it so much I purchased the cartridge version, also.View attachment 305147
Nice looking revolver, it's the 5.5" barrel model right?

I've found one website with a 4.75" Quickdraw Cimarron brass triggerguard model (manufactured by Uberti) that looks like new old stock, going to give them a call and see.

Last edited:
I've had my Uberti for a long time, love the way it shoots, and the only barrel stamp is discreetly on the underside. I wonder if it can be converted to cartridge with a new hammer and cylinder?

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 0
Not for me. You have to click the link itself, not copy & paste it, maybe that's the problem.

I am talking about cap and ball percussion revolvers and only posted the link to show the different model options, here is where the link brings me to:

View attachment 305113

I guess I can remove it and just leave this picture if that helps erase any confusion
Well that’s a novelty, I too own and shoot just about every model of percussion revolver made today, and several of them have conversion cylinders including one 1851 Navy , which I’ve gone to great lengths to load and shoot the 38Long Colt cartridge in.
I also have the cattleman in dual cartridges.

The Italian manufacturers are going overboard finding new markets.😁

I've had my Uberti for a long time, love the way it shoots, and the only barrel stamp is discreetly on the underside. I wonder if it can be converted to cartridge with a new hammer and cylinder?
When i asked about this pistol last year i was told it was designed to be a cap n ball and not easily converted. Anything is possible for a determined mind.

Reactions: 45D
When i asked about this pistol last year i was told it was designed to be a cap n ball and not easily converted. Anything is possible for a determined mind.
Yes, I recall now, (it's been a while), the way the firing pin is offset and the receiver made to match, it would take some work at the very least.
edit: Don't know why I never tried this, but the cylinder from my Armi San Marco 44-40 six shooter, drops in perfectly, leading me to surmise that by hogging out that firing pin hole, it would work. No expert though. I don't know if that big hole would affect anything upon firing.

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4338.jpeg
    IMG_4338.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back