• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long term storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atki

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a two dozen blackpowder guns that I need to store for a year. I have been using Lehigh Valley Lube to clean and store them. But you can't buy it anymore.

So what would anyone suggest, for both cleaning and them preparing for long term storage?

Thanks
WB

For cleaning after a shoot (with BP) I use plain ole hot water with Dawn dish detergent. It has worked for me for over 30 yrs so i will stick with it. As for long term storage i would use rig gun grease. there are many like products out there so maybe someone else can suggest something an you can decide for yourself. good luck :grin:

Use Soap and warm water to clean these guns- NEVER an oil. Then get Sheath, or some other similar product made by Birchwood Casey. for long term storage. Oil the action( lock) parts with a good vegetable oil ( olive oil works fine, but is expensive), and wax the stock, both inside the mortise, and outside to protect the finish. Put the guns in plastic bags sealed, to keep out moisture. You can buy dessicant bags at many of the hobby stores, and they can be placed inside the plastic bags to suck up any moisture in the bag. Put the guns a cool, DRY, place while you are gone. Covered in plastic bags, and well oiled, you should not have any problems with rust while you are gone. If you are near the Ocean, salt laden air is a problem for storing anything metal, so don't skimp on the oils and wax.

I have a friend who put lots of guns in a wooden case years ago for storage, to keep them away from his growing children. He forgot about the guns until a few years ago. He had oiled all the guns, and then wrapped them in thick heavy waxed butcher paper( Check office supply stores to see if you can order this). This is the same kind of paper that many commercial guns were wrapped in before plastic bags in foam lined, plastic cases became the "rage". All the guns, stored more than 25 years, were in perfect condition when he pulled them out of his attic. He feared the worst, simply because an Attic is about the worst place to store anything. Its too hot( except in the winter time), and its too moist. However, he came through okay. Many of the guns were from a museum that closed down in Upstate New York, and the guns were still in museum quality condition. He has since loaned some of them to the National Firearms Museum operated by the NRA at its office building in Fairfax, Va.

WeaselBreath:

I'm not going to address the cleaning, if you own that many surely you know how to do that. Besides it takes more than a few days to ensure that no rust reappears.

For long term storage, I would replace the nipple with a grease zerk and pump the bore full of grease, later the bulk of which is easily removed with a patched ramrod, it has never failed me.

I have also used heavy grease to protect the lock and trigger assembly.

Osage

Barricade, by Birchwood Casey. They've discontinued Sheath and are now marketing Barricade.

Do you have a vac-sealer like for putting up garden produce for the freezer? The bagging material comes on a long roll at the Great-Wal. And, you can throw oxygen scavengers and silica gel packs in the "bag" (cut to length) before sealing. Reckon it just depends on how in depth you would care to get.

I just got in the mail my "American Rifleman" put out by the NRA. Check page 31 on the product reviews. The heading is Zero Corrosion Products Friearm storage bags" The bags are tested and approved by the good ol US Army. Says you can store for 20 years. Safe for wood , and synthetic, also suitable for ammo storage.
here is thier net address, www.zcorrproducts.com
I am going there myself to check out since I have more BP guns than I can fire in a short term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back