• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traumatized by bans and shortages

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What amazes me is the volume of people that get upset with others that have things that they don’t. They treat buying in quantity as stealing. I’ve went without things I’ve wanted and needed before. It wasn’t fun, so I try to avoid that in the future.

I have never been the hoarder type or buy all type, but with the way things are over in Aus I wish I did. I tried to be fair and only take what I need, sorry that has now changed. With them talking about 3-5 years before we “ normalise” or have steady supplies arriving on our shores. How do you invite someone into the sport or continue yourself when you can’t even buy basics. I’d take up archery but knowing my luck there will be a shortage on arrows next week.

What amazes me is the volume of people that get upset with others that have things that they don’t.
Yeah, there is a coin flip though,,
Just ask yourself why was there a TP shortage in 2019-20??
So there is the wisdom of buying in bulk,, and there is hoarding.
2 different creatures, the same happened during freaking Wars.
But in the 40's hoarders where shunned,,
There is no shame today.

I'm waiting for my great-grandchildren to ask; "What did you do during the Covid Pandemic?"
"Well, I was the tail gunner on the back of a Charmin truck when we went deep into the south side of town to a place called,,,,"

Last edited:
spam should only be used in prisons for unruly prisoner punishment chow
My mother loves the stuff to this day. It was a staple on many backpacking and canoe trips as a kid in Scouts. Find that when I take nephews and nieces to a hunting cabin with no power or running water they gobble it up when I break it out. Have one of those wire handled clamshell hamburger/hotdog cookers that I let the kid ‘cook’ the Spam in over an open fire. They love it. My sisters roll their eyes when the kids ask for it when at home. Though I personally find it a bit too salty, it brings back memories.

Both.

"Can't live with them, and you can't kill them."

I knew a fellow who said that you can trade them for a dog and then shoot the dog.
I told all my kids before they got married that women should come with a cage you lock them inside , slide their food through the sally port once a week open the door and hose them off. the six days a month their fit to be around take them out a play with them.

One thing nobody has brought up yet is the fact a lot of our “supplies”, especially for builders, come from one man shows.
When they retire or pass away, so do their products. Have seen it happen more than I’d care to in this and other passtimes I’ve been involved with for 50 years.
Hopefully I should have enough bang related stuff to get me through another prolonged shortage. Somehow I did manage to get it through my thick head and stocked up 5 or so years ago when prices plummeted on “things” due to an over supply by manufacturers who were expecting a different outcome in ‘16.
Although prices are higher now, there does appear to be some stabilization in supply and like they always say, it’s not going to get any cheaper.
Stock up now if you haven’t yet, next year is probably gonna be real special.

Media is a bad place to reveal your business, it's very open to prying eyes! Nothing wrong with hoarding and being prepared but I never brag about what or how much I have. I feel soon unless our Country turns around we will regress and Tyranny will turn a beloved harmless hobby of BP/ML's into a necessity and then a million caps and flints will be a grand thing to behold.

Self sufficiency and a good family (Household) safe plan is going to be the key in the coming days ahead, especially if the election goes south!

(Never the less, I'm a believer)

My mother loves the stuff to this day. It was a staple on many backpacking and canoe trips as a kid in Scouts. Find that when I take nephews and nieces to a hunting cabin with no power or running water they gobble it up when I break it out. Have one of those wire handled clamshell hamburger/hotdog cookers that I let the kid ‘cook’ the Spam in over an open fire. They love it. My sisters roll their eyes when the kids ask for it when at home. Though I personally find it a bit too salty, it brings back memories.
There is a low-salt version of Spam.

I'm not a huge fan of Spam, but GREATLY prefer it to ANY wild game I have ever eaten, other than fish. I pray I am never so poor or hungry again that I have to eat wild game.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I don't hord shooting supply as I know the Lord will take care of me but I do keep a crossbow handy to take care of shooting needs if needed.

My problem with holding is my family takes it if they find it. 2 years ago I bought a bunch of fuel cans and stored away about 50 gallons of fuel for possible hard times ahead. Well I'm out on the road all the time so couldn't check on it daily but one weekend I was home and checked on my fuel and it was all gone. My girlfriend used it all because she is a selfish jerk and cares about nobody else but her.

Truth be known that if it don't fit in my backpack I don't need it in hard times. A tent, a sleeping bag, conabear traps and a crossbow is really all I need in bad times.
Losing that woman would be like losing cancer, in my humble opinion.

21 years and 21 days active duty in the finest fighting force in the World, the USMC. You never get out.

I also like Blue Cheese, pickled herring and sushi
navy gator freighter gunner here.Hell man, i’m sorry, Had i known you’re a marine id have used smaller words.😉
After c rats ( not the rats on a ship but issued combat chow) everything is good.

There is a low-salt version of Spam.

I'm not a huge fan of Spam, but GREATLY prefer it to ANY wild game I have ever eaten, other than fish. I pray I am never so poor or hungry again that I have to eat wild game.
You poor thing. I have grand kids that will take venison over beef any day of the week. Grass fed, organic, not raised in meat mills, all natural venison.

Any wild game I get gets fed to my dog.
Not me. Been living on elk and deer for the last year. All in how it is cared for before you cut it up, after cutting and how you cook it.

Venison loin
46615.jpeg

Elk Steak
47365.jpeg

I have been processing meat, (lamb, beef, pig) both on the ranch and working in packing houses. I have also processed game meat, mostly my own, for over 50 years. We used to "dry age" our meat in walk-ins, but having moved out of the livestock business and into the warfighting business, I no longer had a walk-in available to me. Used to keep a spare fridge for it, but again, really not big enough for a good size deer and definitely not an elk. Commercially about 8-10 years ago "cry" packs (short for cryogenic) for large cuts of meat came onto the market. A few years back, "wet aging" came into vogue with the ready availability of consumer vacuum sealers.

I have been using it for several years and as long as you keep your meat clean and debris free, it works extremely well. On my latest elk kill, I packaged my meat and made lots of steaks out of the hind quarters.

It still requires a spare fridge maintained at ideally 34-36 degrees.

I will freeze the loin roasts and steaks at 21 days as they are inherently more tender by nature, let the hindquarter steaks go to 25 days then freeze them.

Here is the process as described by the "Meateater" bunch.

How to Wet Age Meat | MeatEater Wild Foods
How to Wet Age Meat

Last edited:
I do not eat beef and the only pork I eat is bacon. Grew up eating wild game and my kids was raised on wild game. I take proper care of the game I kill in the field and while processing it. Have aged deer but not like Corizo does. So I might give that a try this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back