• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Free design for simple long gun rack using a single piece of plywood.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millford_P

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,
I built this rack for my collection of muskets a couple of years ago and so far it's served it's purpose pretty well, so I thought I'd share it with the group in case anyone would like to build one. I used one sheet of 3/4in oak plywood and got two racks that hold 7 guns each, although it would likely be possible to adjust to 8 if you build for more modern or slender firearms. There's a little bit of storage space for ammo boxes etc. on the bottom shelf too. The design is pretty simple and should be easy to adjust for your own needs. Design is in the attached PDF.

IMG_0927.jpg

Attachments

• RifleRack_update.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
Muzzleloaders should be stored muzzle down so oil will not pool up at the breech. My guns are not stored all together, why make it convenient for a thief?

Muzzleloaders should be stored muzzle down so oil will not pool up at the breech.
If you have that much oil in the barrel, you're using too much.
My guns are not stored all together, why make it convenient for a thief?
There are other methods to secure valuables, such as locked rooms and alarm systems. One can always run a locked cable through the trigger guards.

Very good.
I have built several similar gun racks myself. Made a big one once that holds 50 guns for a club turkey shoot. I have a small room in my home about the size of a walk-in closet. I think it might have been a pantry originally. I secured it with a heavy door and dead bolt. It is my gunroom. Metal gun safes and wooden gun racks in that room. I have never stored a muzzleloader or any other long gun muzzle down. Never had a problem with oil pooling in the breech. My guns are lightly oiled, and I go over them all about every 6 months. Just wipe it clean before loading.

Very good.
I have built several similar gun racks myself. Made a big one once that holds 50 guns for a club turkey shoot. I have a small room in my home about the size of a walk-in closet. I think it might have been a pantry originally. I secured it with a heavy door and dead bolt. It is my gunroom. Metal gun safes and wooden gun racks in that room. I have never stored a muzzleloader or any other long gun muzzle down. Never had a problem with oil pooling in the breech. My guns are lightly oiled, and I go over them all about every 6 months. Just wipe it clean before loading.
Yes, muzzle down seems like it could cause it's own problems... I'm not sure all that weight on the barrel or upper stock would be great for longterm storage and durability. I'd be worried that it might cause cracks in the stock.

With respect, I see a difference between the gun rack photo and the plans, as in your photo the side panels are taller than where the plans show the slotted cross piece affixed ...

Great use of wood with your layout!

Plans.jpg

With respect, I see a difference between the gun rack photo and the plans, as in your photo the side panels are taller than where the plans show the slotted cross piece affixed ...

Great use of wood with your layout!

View attachment 282124
Good catch! I did adjust the design to fit some smaller rifles when I built it. This design was for long guns specifically, but can be adjusted.

Very nice thanks for sharing!!!
I was just looking at building one and got plans off the CMP forum but I like yours more.
Everything I measured says that the 3-inch on center will be fine.

Back