• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traumatized by bans and shortages

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wut?
tenor.gif
Zuw?

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I don't hord shooting supply as I know the Lord will take care of me but I do keep a crossbow handy to take care of shooting needs if needed.

My problem with holding is my family takes it if they find it. 2 years ago I bought a bunch of fuel cans and stored away about 50 gallons of fuel for possible hard times ahead. Well I'm out on the road all the time so couldn't check on it daily but one weekend I was home and checked on my fuel and it was all gone. My girlfriend used it all because she is a selfish jerk and cares about nobody else but her.

Truth be known that if it don't fit in my backpack I don't need it in hard times. A tent, a sleeping bag, conabear traps and a crossbow is really all I need in bad times.
I'm sorry you don't have supporting 'family' members. Yes I'm serious, no sarcasm.

On my girlfriend or supplys?

There use to be a Christian comedian that use to say.....
If I would have killed her the first time I thought about it I could have been out of prison by now.

Truth be known I live on her family beef farm. In hard times I am better set than horders. Last year we had two deer and a full cow in the freezer. Right now I only have one cow in the freezer which is better than 300 cans of spam.
Think about it...........you can do better.

A full beef last me and her about 10 months.

I did have several cases of spam but gave them to a local church.

But back to original post. I do need to get me a good flintlock and stock up on flints and powder.
Get a good flintlock, lose the girlfriend, who's not a friend.

One thing nobody has brought up yet is the fact a lot of our “supplies”, especially for builders, come from one man shows.
When they retire or pass away, so do their products. Have seen it happen more than I’d care to in this and other passtimes I’ve been involved with for 50 years.
Hopefully I should have enough bang related stuff to get me through another prolonged shortage. Somehow I did manage to get it through my thick head and stocked up 5 or so years ago when prices plummeted on “things” due to an over supply by manufacturers who were expecting a different outcome in ‘16.
Although prices are higher now, there does appear to be some stabilization in supply and like they always say, it’s not going to get any cheaper.
Stock up now if you haven’t yet, next year is probably gonna be real special.
You Sir are correct! One man shows make up the bulk of our hobby/lifestyle.

Media is a bad place to reveal your business, it's very open to prying eyes! Nothing wrong with hoarding and being prepared but I never brag about what or how much I have. I feel soon unless our Country turns around we will regress and Tyranny will turn a beloved harmless hobby of BP/ML's into a necessity and then a million caps and flints will be a grand thing to behold.

Self sufficiency and a good family (Household) safe plan is going to be the key in the coming days ahead, especially if the election goes south!

(Never the less, I'm a believer)
HAH! Do you REALLY think our country will "turn"? It's over with and we are picking up the pieces.

I like beef but give me a med rare deer, elk, moose or antelope steak any day. Hoping to re-stock this October, just checked on the deer left in the freezer getting low but not to fret won't be long till the supply wagon comes in.
I actually don't like beef anymore (since about 2003 or so), grass or corn finished. We eat only deer, black bear, elk, moose, pheasant, goose, duck, hungarian partridge, grouse, dove, squirrel, rabbit, or fish for our 'meat'. Never been healthier.

I have been processing meat, (lamb, beef, pig) both on the ranch and working in packing houses. I have also processed game meat, mostly my own, for over 50 years. We used to "dry age" our meat in walk-ins, but having moved out of the livestock business and into the warfighting business, I no longer had a walk-in available to me. Used to keep a spare fridge for it, but again, really not big enough for a good size deer and definitely not an elk. Commercially about 8-10 years ago "cry" packs (short for cryogenic) for large cuts of meat came onto the market. A few years back, "wet aging" came into vogue with the ready availability of consumer vacuum sealers.

I have been using it for several years and as long as you keep your meat clean and debris free, it works extremely well. On my latest elk kill, I packaged my meat and made lots of steaks out of the hind quarters.

It still requires a spare fridge maintained at ideally 34-36 degrees.

I will freeze the loin roasts and steaks at 21 days as they are inherently more tender by nature, let the hindquarter steaks go to 25 days then freeze them.

Here is the process as described by the "Meateater" bunch.

How to Wet Age Meat | MeatEater Wild Foods
How to Wet Age Meat
Yes! Prep is more important than the specie. You kill a deer, poorly, find it 4 hours later in 80 degree heat, then drag it around to everyone you've met in the last 20 years to show it off, and then drag it to processor, and THEN YOU wonder why it tastes like dodoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back