• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead list?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this will help in identifying the scrap window framing lead I purchased today, (you call it window came ?), so I took a photo in the hope it would pin it down. Appreciate your help. :hatsoff:

I agree, looks like the stuff I got. They used to do stained glass at work so I acquired some of their scraps. Not pure but still very soft. I acquired about 300#. I wish they were still doing the windows.

Thanks gents. Now looks like I need to melt some down in a pot and see if I can clean it up and pour some ingots. Would any of you know of a one burner camp stove that could bring the pot to 700 - 750 degrees?

Just about any will heat the lead to proper temp. Just be careful with the one burners, because a pot of lead will make them top heavy and they may tip over. I started out with a 2 burner coleman stove. The Lee electric pots are very good and cost about the same.

Be careful when using a camp stove to melt lead. I know a lot of folks have used them successfully but I had a near miss using one of them. Mine was a Coleman one burner stove. It looked like a lantern bottom with a burner on top and a heavy wire grate to hold your pot. I sat a cast iron pot on it that would hold 10 pounds of lead and put enough lead in it to fill it. When the grate got hot the weight of the pot of lead was too much and the wire grate started to sag. The pot turned over and poured moulton lead on the garage floor. It happened pretty quickly and fortunately no one was near the pot when it turned over. So, when you pick a stove on which to melt your lead, just be sure that the grate is strong enough when it gets hot that it doesn't sag and let your pot of lead spill.

Soft lead is going for .75 cents a pound here when the junk place has it. Which is rare anymore.

Larry

Back