• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tried out my Callahan bag mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a .54 cal bag mold and a folding ladle from Larry Callahan. Well today I decided to give them a try. I just used a propane torch to heat the lead in the ladle. Let me tell you that bag mold Larry makes is VERY good and VERY well made. It looks amazing to me and casts one dang good ball. And that sprue cutter cuts the sprue dead flush with the ball. You couldn't cut the sprue any closer with a pair of flush cutters. If you are thinking about getting a bag mold, I for one HIGHLY recommend these. Now for the down side. Of course the handles will get hot quickly as they are thin steel with no wood insulating you from the heat. But these things are not meant to cast 100's of round ball. I cast 6 high quality balls in a matter of about 10 minutes wearing a pair of leather gloves. Sitting around a fire casting a few balls for a hunt is what I will use them for. Thank you to those of you who told me about Larry's outfit.

Back