• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Lyman GPH or Mountain rifle with 1/48 barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gollywomper

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking for either a GPH or a Mountain Rifle with a 1/48 twist barrel. Percussion, 50 cal preferred, possibly a 54 for the right deal.

I have a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken that’s been collecting dust for a few years. It’s basically a new gun in .50 caliber. Quite a step up from the Lyman. Let me know if you have any interest.

Hello Gollywomper. I have a 50 cal GPH that I think i have decided to part with. I haven't worked on a fair price for it but will look into that. I did quite a bit of upgrade work on the gun over a period of years to make it a reliably longer range elk rifle. First I painstakingly fire lapped the barrel with a Beartooth Bullets lapping kit when it was new. It threw very good groups after this, but over time I began to notice that it would group great at first, but with additional shooting the groups would start to expand. I discovered that the stock wood wasn't holding the tang screw perfectly tight, and it was loosening after a few rounds. This obviously wasn't acceptable, so I had a black-powder gunsmith in Indiana build a whole new stock for it out of very hard, curly maple. I also had him fuse the hooked breech. These 2 things, combined with the original fire-lapping, produced a real tack driver. The whole process took a number of years, and I lived in Idaho back then when I could hunt elk almost out my back door, but have since moved back to VA. That combined with age make me realize that my elk hunting days are probably over, so I've been thinking I should sell the gun. I also dropped a deerslayer trigger in it, and it is set up with Lyman sights, rear peep (receiver sight) and globe front. I also have a more traditional Pedersoli rear peep for it that I never put on the gun. That gun has a nice traditional look which I liked. It was deadly on elk. Let me know if you might be interested and I'll get some pics together.
IMG_2295.JPG

I have a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken that’s been collecting dust for a few years. It’s basically a new gun in .50 caliber. Quite a step up from the Lyman. Let me know if you have any interest.
Is that with the 1-24 twist? May be a bit over my budget…

Is that with the 1-24 twist? May be a bit over my budget…
It is indeed. I also forgot that I have a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber that I have not used since I bought it. It was made before they stamped the Lyman name on them. In very good to excellent condition. If you have any interest I can get pictures tomorrow.

It is indeed. I also forgot that I have a Lyman GPR in .50 caliber that I have not used since I bought it. It was made before they stamped the Lyman name on them. In very good to excellent condition. If you have any interest I can get pictures tomorrow.
Sorry no interest in another PRB barrel, assuming the GPR has the slow barrel.

Hello Gollywomper. I have a 50 cal GPH that I think i have decided to part with. I haven't worked on a fair price for it but will look into that. I did quite a bit of upgrade work on the gun over a period of years to make it a reliably longer range elk rifle. First I painstakingly fire lapped the barrel with a Beartooth Bullets lapping kit when it was new. It threw very good groups after this, but over time I began to notice that it would group great at first, but with additional shooting the groups would start to expand. I discovered that the stock wood wasn't holding the tang screw perfectly tight, and it was loosening after a few rounds. This obviously wasn't acceptable, so I had a black-powder gunsmith in Indiana build a whole new stock for it out of very hard, curly maple. I also had him fuse the hooked breech. These 2 things, combined with the original fire-lapping, produced a real tack driver. The whole process took a number of years, and I lived in Idaho back then when I could hunt elk almost out my back door, but have since moved back to VA. That combined with age make me realize that my elk hunting days are probably over, so I've been thinking I should sell the gun. I also dropped a deerslayer trigger in it, and it is set up with Lyman sights, rear peep (receiver sight) and globe front. I also have a more traditional Pedersoli rear peep for it that I never put on the gun. That gun has a nice traditional look which I liked. It was deadly on elk. Let me know if you might be interested and I'll get some pics together.
View attachment 315997
That gun stock looks incredible, it looks like a beautiful piece.

Back