• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

8 to 9 BHN lead to hard for round ball casting ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I had some lead given to me of unknow origin. I can mark/scratch with my thumbnail but using the "pencil test" it shows it being in the 8 to 9 BHN range on the hardness scale. I know pure lead is best, but this stuff was free, and the guy thinks he has more. Considering the patch/roundball combo, would this be okay for banging steel and punching paper ? I have pure lead for hunting roundballs, just hoping to get some use out of this lead. -Thanks

I had some lead given to me of unknow origin. I can mark/scratch with my thumbnail but using the "pencil test" it shows it being in the 8 to 9 BHN range on the hardness scale. I know pure lead is best, but this stuff was free, and the guy thinks he has more. Considering the patch/roundball combo, would this be okay for banging steel and punching paper ? I have pure lead for hunting roundballs, just hoping to get some use out of this lead. -Thanks
Yes.

It will work. The issue with hardness testing is it tells you nothing of the alloy's content, as in what is in there that makes it "harder" than pure lead. Not that it matters in this instance. The other issue is ingots cool slowly and if they contain antimony will test softer than something small cast with it. Still another consideration, with regard to antimony content, is that the balls will precipitation-harden in time, meaning they will test near pure the day you cast them and a week or a month later (depending on presence of other trace elements, especially tin) you won't be able to get them down the bore with a hammer. They also get bigger as they age, to a point, usually even weak antimonial lead alloy will stabilize in both hardness and size in a month after being cast.

Cast the balls, wait a month, THEN go work up you patch and load combo to make sure you don't get any surprises the time after that when you go out shooting.

I will shoot round ball made from pretty well any lead, have even used an old Puter plate, If I`m shooting say a 58cal I will pour balls of .562 when using wheel weights and .570 if using soft lead like roof flashing. The hard lead does not shrink as much as soft lead once cooled.

Those rudimentary testing methods in today's world, are pretty much still rudimentary and unreliable.
Right? (how hard did you press the pencil?)
So all you can do is test.(?) It's Ok, try the stuff.
The test of your cast ball will require the full range of the other variables.
Patch thickness, lube properties and charge.
Your experienced. You and I have shared.
Share with us your experiment. What do you changed, what fabric you use, what thickness, what lube properties,, :dunno:
,,step up,,

Last edited:
Back