• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler 32 SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sent my barrel from my Kibler SMR to Track of the Wolf today via Fed Ex. I asked to have the rear dovetail recut and a new rear sight installed. I feel the dovetail from Jim was shallow. While preparing the barrel i apparently made the situation worse. According to Track of the Wolf Jim Kibler cut the dovetail as it would have been in a historic rifle so I’m not blaming Jim. I have read SMR owners having to file the front sight very low to get the rifle sighted in, The new sight that is being installed will be higher giving additional elevation. The barrel should be at Track of the Wolf Tuesday 4/23. I’ll keep you posted

It is easier to install another back sight and leave the front sight high. I did that on my Woodsrunner, and it was right on the money. It cost me a back sight out of my parts stash. Nothing wrong with the dovetails.

It is easier to install another back sight and leave the front sight high. I did that on my Woodsrunner, and it was right on the money. It cost me a back sight out of my parts stash. Nothing wrong with the dovetails.
Indeed. Due to old eyes, I have to use an aperture sight on my muzzleloader rifles. Every time I installed one, a higher front bead was required.

Kibler uses historically correct sights. Since I shoot that is not my cup of tea.

I always make new ones. I want them taller to prevent mirage distortion of the sight picture. I also want the front sight to be wider, more like 0.110" wide. For testing loads I use a peep sight. I prefer not to modify really nice rifles. So, I made the peep sight such that the rifle is not damaged. When not in use I store the sight parts in the patch box. See attached

Attachments

• sights.jpg
    sights.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
It depends on how loose it is. If not too much you can stretch the sight with cold forging. You might also be able to clinch the dovetail on the sight with a flat rectangular punch. Otherwise a bigger sight.

If you are having trouble with the dovetails and sights we provided, let us know.

If the base of your sight is loose in the dovetail, use a small peening hammer to stretch the base. Probably won't take much, a little goes a long way. Same for a base that's a little too large, use minimal filing.

Jim replied just as I was finishing my typing.

Plus, a large socket placed over the dovetail edges and given a couple of sharp hits with a mallet will tighten the dovetail.

It depends on how loose it is. If not too much you can stretch the sight with cold forging. You might also be able to clinch the dovetail on the sight with a flat rectangular punch. Otherwise a bigger sight.

If you are having trouble with the dovetails and sights we provided, let us know.
I asked for advice however I didn’t hear back, perhaps I messed up when I sent the request. The barrel is now at TOTW and they will install a new sight and should be returned soon. I’ll keep you posted as to how that worked out. Perhaps with some coaching I can send pictures of their work. Thanks again Jim

Back