• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you mention about focusing on the front sight only is something I always do. What I can't figure out is how guys stack their shots at 50-100 yards doing this, because the target's bull is never clear enough to really tell if I'm aiming at the same exact point or not. I seem to have to try to bounce between focusing on the front sight and the target before shooting
Same here.

Hey necchi, you are a liar. And a very twisted liar at that. Go take your medication keyboard warrior.
He been boxed for awhile now. Attacked me for spelling and forgetting a word, called me some name, ignorant or something.. I do believe he needs to answer the call from the Canadian pharmacy and head down to the dirt bag bar for a bit. He has always been pushy n nosey but worse last month rr so for sure. POOR MRS necchi................

He been boxed for awhile now. Attacked me for spelling and forgetting a word, called me some name, ignorant or something.. I do believe he needs to answer the call from the Canadian pharmacy and head down to the dirt bag bar for a bit. He has always been pushy n nosey but worse last month rr so for sure. POOR MRS necchi................
Yep, he definitely has some demons to deal with.

What you mention about focusing on the front sight only is something I always do. What I can't figure out is how guys stack their shots at 50-100 yards doing this, because the target's bull is never clear enough to really tell if I'm aiming at the same exact point or not. I seem to have to try to bounce between focusing on the front sight and the target before shooting
I can explain this, it is called "Young Eyes"

When you are young the elasticity of your eyes allows you to very rapidly change focal distance to the point it appears that you are focusing at different distances, keeping the target and front sight in focus at the same time, you are not, but it appears to your brain that you are.

As we age the eye loses that elasticity and we can no longer change focal distance rapidly, now only one thing at a time is in focus. Of course this happens at different ages for different people.

And then! there is the joy of cataracts, creating more challenges to liven up our dreary existence!

I wrote earlier in this thread concerning TC or Pedersoli tang sights on a Woodsrunner. I initially tried a .450 high sight, but the TC aperture stem was not tall enough. At 25 yards Ithe stem was maxed out, and I was at POI. So I changed the front sight to .323 and that put the aperature stem about 1/3-1/2 height. That is optimum for me.
I am using a red fiber optic front, but it does not "pop" all that well for me. I think the fiber insert is poor quality, and generally I see green better. So I'll probably buy a new green one.
I will add the sight picture is amazing, and the rifle stacks balls. I think a green sight will be better on dark days in the woods, but the marginal red sight is still crazy easy to use. I think the factory brass sight would also be a viable height, and a nice focus point.
I am using the factory aperture disk in the TC sight. For me, I don't need the extra light by removing the disk, and going ghost sight mode. The Pedersoli is not tapped for a aperture disk, and as the name implies, it is a ghost type sight. Nothing wrong with any choice, and the ghost is probably the safest bet in all light conditions.

It's marksmanship.
Training. Learning. A Battle Group full of practice. One shot at a time. Trial and error. Know you rifle and your load.
When you can keep up with your rifle at 25. When you can keep up at 50. You can trust your sights. And your ability.
Bouncing is an error used only for addressing the shot.
May you take only your best one.

It's marksmanship.
Training. Learning. A Battle Group full of practice. One shot at a time. Trial and error. Know you rifle and your load.
When you can keep up with your rifle at 25. When you can keep up at 50. You can trust your sights. And your ability.
Bouncing is an error used only for addressing the shot.
May you take only your best one.
That's the truth.

Mike, I have the taller Track rear sights on all my Kiblers. With the factory sights I had to file down the front sight so much there was almost nothing left. The taller sights definitely allow for a better sight picture for me, but you’ll still have to file the notch down some to zero your rifle. I’m in the process of doing that now on 4 rifles. It just takes time and a good file.
I also put taller and heavier sights, both front and rear, on my SMR. These:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/what-sight-for-kibler-smr.168744/#post-2423804Completely resolved my sight picture complaints with the original sights.

Latest posts

Back