• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I have the taller Track rear sights on all my Kiblers. With the factory sights I had to file down the front sight so much there was almost nothing left. The taller sights definitely allow for a better sight picture for me, but you’ll still have to file the notch down some to zero your rifle. I’m in the process of doing that now on 4 rifles. It just takes time and a good file.
TDM, I don't suppose you have the stock number or description of that particular sight? I've shouldered my new Colonial many times and seems like the furnished sights are too low.

Mike,,,,,,,,,,,,The Johnson Peep sights I got , were in the Muzzleloader Builder Supply websight. My catalog for MLBS is an old #18 , and not sure they have a print book any more. The Johnson sight takes standard screw in aperatures , listed on the same page. Also , as constructed , the sight is made to be mounted on top of the barrel . ...........Note , the sight must be cut on an angle to mate up with the angle of the breech plug tang. I've cut and mounted a couple w/ good success , using a single number 4 -- 40 tpi machine screw from the under side of the tang , into the under side of the sight. It's relatively easy to do , and performs the miracle of allowing you to see target , front sight , and rear sight peep. I couldn't shoot w/out it. ....oldwood
THANK YOU! Sounds like you and I are in the same boat vision wise.

TDM, I don't suppose you have the stock number or description of that particular sight? I've shouldered my new Colonial many times and seems like the furnished sights are too low.
I’d have to look back, but I can probably find them. But I’ve put mine on SMRs and Woodsrunners. There’s a slight difference between them all. And what you get from Track will require grinding off a casting tab and filing the base to fit your dovetail. But it’s not a big deal. I’ll take a look tomorrow.

I’d have to look back, but I can probably find them. But I’ve put mine on SMRs and Woodsrunners. There’s a slight difference between them all. And what you get from Track will require grinding off a casting tab and filing the base to fit your dovetail. But it’s not a big deal. I’ll take a look tomorrow.
This is advice from a guy that has a fractured tang, on a fractured stock of a custom hand made rifle, that is asking if silver solder will work for the repair. Then mocking others as they offer advice.
Good luck Mike,,,

This is advice from a guy that has a fractured tang, on a fractured stock of a custom hand made rifle, that is asking if silver solder will work for the repair. Then mocking others as they offer advice.
Good luck Mike,,,
I've been reading that thread as I am working on an SMR myself. Your character attach on TDM in that thread is not true. The only person being a jerk is you, again for some reason.

To the OP, I suggest you look into the Skinner "Low Pro" peep sight. It only requires one hole to be drilled and tapped into the tang to mount. It is only adjustable for elevation, windage is adjusted by the front sight. I have these sights mounted on several of my long rifles for i can no longer see the rear sight on most guns. I like this sight as it is very unobtrusive, low and sleek. Check them out on the "Skinner sights" web site.

I had one of the sights mounted on the barrel at the normal 12/13 inches and it was too small to use. Drilling the hole larger did not seem to help so I filed off the top and filled a square notch in it and it works now. I do think the sight would work ok if it were mounted just in front of the tang on the barrel. I also use a wide front sight and a wide notch in the rear sight for more light.

I am finishing a Woodsrunner, and I slapped on a set of Thompson Center tang peeps. I also have a set of Pedersoli ghost ring sights that look like they will fit same holes. Pedersoli is shown off the rifle.
I used the tang barrel screw, and a wood screw in the stock. So no tapping necessary. I used some screws I had laying around to test the sight. I'll get slotted screws for both, and the rear screw will be brass. Anyway the sight picture it is crisp and clear. Head alignment is great, and the sight is not near my hand for recoil. Both the TC and Pedersoli have windage and elevation.
For even more woods hunting pop, the front sight is a .323? high fiber optic. I tried a 450 front sight yesterday and it was too high, so I had a 3XX high sight, and that is what I'll test today.
The Pedersoli has a second additional shaft block, and a second longer peep shaft. I probably could have used the 450 sight with that higher shaft. I may wind up with the Pedersoli depending on the front sights. Anyway it is nice to have all these spares to check things out.
WLBpJWF.jpg

qQ1dce8.jpg

qQEqsIj.jpg

qF9bN0e.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck Mike,,,
Hey necchi, you are a liar. And a very twisted liar at that. Go take your medication keyboard warrior.

A Johnson peep. Not heard of it, but I will look it up. Thank you. Like you, I'm old too. Ancient actually. 76. But I shoot at least once per week.
And hey, BTW, what patch thickness and ball size do you use in your Colonial? I was just getting ready to order some stuff. Have not shot it yet.
I also have used the Johnson peeps great sights. Another great one is the skinner

I filed the microscopic v-notch into a nice Square notch on my Kolonial. My scores improved on Woods-walks and in our Forum postal matches after I did that.
I did the same on my Woodsrunner, and prefer it significantly over the tiny V-notch I had on my Colonial. Having that square notch instead of the V also allows me to shoot with both eyes open, which I wasn't able to do before.

I also had to file down my front sight significantly as my point of impact was about 6 inches low at 25 yards with the front sight as it came.

Interesting solution to the same issue I have. Did you use a riffler file ? Or, how did you turn a micro-V into a notch ?
I'm not sure what kind of file it is but it's the smallest cheapest little flat file in my Arsenal.. I just turned it on edge and went to work. I wish I had a narrower file, the one I used is roughly 5/64" wide.

It works very well in low overcast light. But I sometimes have windage issues when the sun is extreme left or extreme right. This shows me a bright side and a shadow side of the front sight. But that's pretty common for most folks, so a little narrower notch should help mitigate the phenomenon.
Peeps are fantastic on the Range, but for hunting they can fail miserably in the dark woods or at dusk/dawn, when game is most active. And peep sights are not allowed at most of the woods-walk matches that I have attended.

About the files .... that's about what I thought. I have a set of riffler's .... all in different shapes and all seem to be made for fine work. Maybe like jewelers.
I'll take a look and see if one might be about right for this work.
Traditional sights with that micro-V and a skinny front sight are hard for me (and others ) to see. But I know I need more light in the rear.
At this point in life I'll be shooting a shadow anyway .. just gotta pick the darkest spot and work it out.
I'll let you know how this goes .... Paul

Turning 80 in Jan. and since my cataract surgery in Sept. I can see all sights, including the little micro -Vs that are on most of my guns. In fact, I see like an eagle, hearing.....well, that's another story. I used to shoot a lot of military surplus and military .22 training rifles and most had aperture sights but they were all up near the eye. I had to drill one of them out and make it larger.

Track of the Wolf has a rear sight for longrifles that look authentic and that fit into the rear sight dovetail. However, not so authentic and instead of a U notch it has addition metal above that to effectively make it a peep sight. Due to its forward position it can't be as useful as a peep sight near the eye, like a tang sight is. Maybe some of you have seen it. I'm wondering if anyone here has anything similar on their gun and how it performs. Thinking I might put it on my Kibler Colonial that I've yet to shoot. The supplied sight is like that era sight should be, but not so easily aligned with the front for someone my age.Opinions needed and appreciated.
The problem you will have with any peep sight on a SWAMPED barrel is height. An abnormally high front sight will most likely be required. Also, rear windage is a must as bores are not always parallel with the barrel. I have a whole thread about this when I built my Woodsrunner.

Johnson sights work great on straight barrels!

I love peep sights but as of yet haven't put one on a flintlock. That day will likely come hawever. I'm 77 and eyes aren't that good anylonger. I cut rear sight notches maybe a little wider than most so I can see plenty of light on either side of the front. And while I'm on the subject I'll add this. Human eyes can focul on ONLY one thing at a time. It's a rule, almost, that when shooting a rifle or a handgun you must focus on the FRONT sight ONLY. Not the target, not the rear sight but exclusively on the FRONT sight. With peep sights the front automatically centers in the peep and no effort is required to do so it oneself.

I love peep sights but as of yet haven't put one on a flintlock. That day will likely come hawever. I'm 77 and eyes aren't that good anylonger. I cut rear sight notches maybe a little wider than most so I can see plenty of light on either side of the front. And while I'm on the subject I'll add this. Human eyes can focul on ONLY one thing at a time. It's a rule, almost, that when shooting a rifle or a handgun you must focus on the FRONT sight ONLY. Not the target, not the rear sight but exclusively on the FRONT sight. With peep sights the front automatically centers in the peep and no effort is required to do so it oneself.

What you mention about focusing on the front sight only is something I always do. What I can't figure out is how guys stack their shots at 50-100 yards doing this, because the target's bull is never clear enough to really tell if I'm aiming at the same exact point or not. I seem to have to try to bounce between focusing on the front sight and the target before shooting

Back