• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kentucky rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a nice gun, and what you say is true, but do you really think March1781 can do that well first time out of the gate?

In all honesty yes.

My first longrifle was built by a local guy and I helped as much as he would allow, I mainly observed the processes, and bought 3 building manuals. I was not aware of boards such as this. The longrifle above was my first attempt alone, and my second overall longrifle related project.
In this hobby I don't feel its so much about getting what you pay for as getting what you put into it, but thats just my personal opinion and we all know about opinions.

I have seen your work on this board as well as another and your attention to detail places you in the master class of builders and I respect your abilities, but maybe we as a collective group should get a little more information from March1871 about his abilities and expectations.

I am as guilty as any in this oversite.

How much experience do you have with wood working and metal working?
There is a fair amount of desire involved in building a longrifle, your personality plays in here. Overcoming mistakes and pressing ahead with the project can be trying at times, having the paitence to walk away for a day to think a process thru, or to not pitch the whole works into the wood stove.
Do you have a workspace with some room, It does not take alot of tools to build one of these but the type of tools can make or break a project.

Thinking we need a bit more information from you to make an educated response.
For some an " in the white " longrifle is the way to go

I am just trying to get a gun so i can be able to shoot i will even take a kit because i have a work shop. I just am trying to get one because i really would like one and would really appreciate any place you could tell me where to get a fowler or kentucky rifle or if you could sell one to me. I was also wondering if there would be any great deals at the FT. FRedrick, Maryland market fair in april.

"Thinking we need a bit more information from you to make an educated response.
For some an " in the white " longrifle is the way to go"

This is often a good way for a first timer to go, also out of curiosity how many folks have put a Chambers parts set together in 8 hrs, I have never done one just curious seems kind of fast to me if it includes stain amd finish.

Where are some good places to go to find a "in the white" Rifle kit or rifle for a cheap price?

How long does it take to complete a rifle?
That depends entirely upon your skill, knowledge, and patience. The average assembly time for someone with previous experience is 15 to 30 hours (excluding any art-work and finishing time.)

My bad, this is from Chambers FAQ on his web site, looks like some one with experience working with Chambers products could cut a small amount of time from the low number.

March1781,
There were several mentions of places to purchase " in the white " longrifles in the opening page of this thread.
When buying someone else's handiwork you will want to look before you buy, and you will get what you pay for, maybe. If buying from a private builder get references (many) and check on them.

March1781
What do you plan to use the gun for .Hunting, wall hanger, target, ECT? For just a good shooter I can say CVA but they do not make any thing but blasted in lines now. You can get them used many places online. I have 4 CVA's and all are shooters. In kits as has been said you get what you pay for, in a kit gun like traditions you also get what you’re willing to put into it as in time and finishing it. My first one I did in less than 8 hours and well I am now 25 years later trying to rebuild it and doing better then the first time but also not as well as I hoped for. 1st time I did it with a pocket knife and sandpaper. Now more tools and yet not all I should have and that I believe has helped with a few of the ops on it. Again
Think what you want it for. How will you use it? Do you want a muzzleloader for just shooting and not caring if it is historically correct? Or do you want it historical correct, and for me the big one is how much can you spend in both dollars and time? Also some one asked do you have wood working skills. Metal working skills? Refinishing wood skills? This all plays also as to box of parts, cheap import kit, in the white kit, or a finished gun ready to shoot. Let us know and then we can help better then stabbing into the dark

march1781 said:
um i like that gun and was wondering if you would sell that to me email me.

..he cant sell it to you, because its got my DNA on it from when I drooled all over it :rotf:

Wow! an oregon built gun...WOW!
That would look good in german silver as well!

Outstanding!

Not sure about any great deals, but if my memory serves me right there were a few vendors set up there. I plan to check them out myself. Last year was my first time but it is worth the trip. Good luck with your project, what ever it turns out to be.

Back