• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One piece Kentucky long rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, I’ve never seen an original full stocked Longrifle that had a two piece stock. It wasn’t done, and I can’t think of a single reason why it would have been done. There are some original half stocked guns that had a wooden under-rib, as opposed to a metal one. In those cases the rib was a separate piece of wood. Those are the only examples I know of. I could be wrong.

It depends on where you want to go, and how traditional you want to be. You obviously don’t want a two piece stock anyway, or you wouldn’t have posed the question. I’m traditional. And pretty opinionated, when it comes to longrifles… so take this for whatever you decide it’s worth.

Price aside.

The Kibler kits are the easiest to assemble; and I wouldn’t say they’re a lot of work. But you will need more than a screwdriver to assemble one. There are also other high quality kits out there, and they do require more knowledge and work.

I have to admit that my knowledge about the arms from Traditions and Pedersoli is limited to what I read on the forums. They can be made to shoot well, and are accurate arms. So they can be functional, but not traditional in terms of design and style.

A traditional kit will have its design and styling modeled after historic pieces. Straight barrels were rare. Depending on the guns, barrels were swamped, or tapered. Barrel lengths varied widely; but that was also determined by the type of arm, as was the lock used, furniture, etc…

I cannot stress the importance of the lock, when it comes to flintlocks. Kibler, Chambers, L&R, and Davis, all stand behind their locks with a lifetime warrantee. If it’s in need of repair, you can send it to them (right here is the US), and they’ll have it repaired and back to you quickly, and at no charge. Spare parts for these locks are also readily available.

When making decisions like yours, I often ask myself… “What will I wish I had done a year from now?”

I would encourage you to search out the forums for photos of original arms, contemporary reproductions, and production guns. Look at the lines, the styling, the locks and furniture, and the transitions from one area of the gun to another. Even better; if you’re able, handle and shoot some traditionally built pieces. A well designed and built gun is like a well toned physique; while some productions guns are more like the Stay Puff Marshmallow man.

A well designed and built flintlock carries, handles, points, and shoots like it’s an extension of yourself. They are magic to me. A flintlock can easily become your favorite gun for target shooting and putting meat on the table. Or it can be a never-ending exercise in frustration that ends up gathering dust in a closet.

A high quality kit will cost you more money. A lot more. It will also result in an arm that, if used and cared for properly, will be a gun that your children can pass on to their children.

I have a Pedersoli Alamo that I started with in flint. I have a Kibler SMR and a Woodsrunner that I shoot now almost exclusively. I will take the Kiblers with the swamped barrels with out question. My experience is limited but the Kiblers are the best kits and fastest locks that I have used. I also have a TVM in 40 cal not swamped and it is accurate but work after a few shots. This is my experience with flinters in the last 7 years.

The Kentucky, Scout, and Pennsylvania rifles all use the same lock and vary between $699 and $950 for the kit versions depending on which one you chose. I don't think the Alamo is offered as a kit so it is not comparable. You would need to compare the Alamo rifle to a factory finished Kibler Rifle. Those kits make you do your inletting yourself unless you spend another $700 for Kibler to do the inletting.
Jim's kits come fully inletted. There is very little fitting to do. They have best quality parts and are authentic in appearance. The Pedersolis are, on the other hand, generic rifles with no authenticity and a lot of extra weight to them. It's a case of comparing apples and oranges. The Kibler kits are worth every penny of the extra cost and some more besides.

Then why does Kibler rifle kits offer a $700 in the white option? Pedersolli kits come with finished lock, blued barrels, barrel pinned, ramrod thimbles pinned, lock and trigger installed. Pedersoli sells lock parts and entire replacement locks for almost all their side locks on their website. Kibler kit you will have to do barrel and ramrod thimbles pinning yourself plus blue the metal parts. I only blued the crown on my Scout rifle. I am sure Kibler is nicer. However they still cost quite a few hundred dollars more compared to a Pedersoli kit.

Then why does Kibler rifle kits offer a $700 in the white option? Pedersolli kits come with finished lock, blued barrels, barrel pinned, ramrod thimbles pinned, lock and trigger installed. Pedersoli sells lock parts and entire replacement locks for almost all their side locks on their website. Kibler kit you will have to do barrel and ramrod thimbles pinning yourself plus blue the metal parts. I only blued the crown on my Scout rifle. I am sure Kibler is nicer. However they still cost quite a few hundred dollars more compared to a Pedersoli kit.
My experience is with the Alamo Pedersoli and I stripped the finish from the Alamo repaired by replacing the tumbler which was not a good fit for the cock. So I had to shim it for a tight fit. The rifle shot well but was much slower than the Kibler. The Alamo had someone try to lighten the trigger thus the repair. The Pedersoli is an Italian representation of a flintlock. The Kibler is a more accurate representation of period rifles. I don't shoot the Alamo anymore, just hang it on the wall. I shoot the Kibler which is the easiest build for fit I have done. I have built Lymans and Traditions in percussion. I learned that you get what you pay for. I am now retired because I was tired yesterday and I am tired today. I cannot afford any thing new now but I have learned by trial and many errors. I relay my experience and my opinion, if I offend please forgive me. I am learning as my wife says to use some filters. God Bless

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone about a preferred kit. I do think I misunderstood the state you receive the Kibler kit. It comes CNC cut with the barrel and lock recess done. It may require some additional hand sanding for fitting. I though you had to do more, was confused by the offered in the white option. I had to thin the frizzen spring on my Pedersoli trade gun. I may of had to of done that to my scout rifle too. Was the Alamo bought used? Dixie gun works should be able to get spare lock parts for Pedersoli. At least you were able to get it running. I may still get a Kibler kit. I am leaning towards a flintlock pistol though or small cannon as my next purchase. I would probably get their colonial rifle in 58 smooth.

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone about a preferred kit. I do think I misunderstood the state you receive the Kibler kit. It comes CNC cut with the barrel and lock recess done. It may require some additional hand sanding for fitting. I though you had to do more, was confused by the offered in the white option. I had to thin the frizzen spring on my Pedersoli trade gun. I may of had to of done that to my scout rifle too. Was the Alamo bought used? Dixie gun works should be able to get spare lock parts for Pedersoli. At least you were able to get it running. I may still get a Kibler kit. I am leaning towards a flintlock pistol though or small cannon as my next purchase. I would probably get their colonial rifle in 58 smooth.
Yes I got it from a gun shop that the owner had discovered the lock would not stay in full cock. Half cock was not to bad but not real secure. I researched the remedy and the lock was purchased from VTI in Connecticut. I wanted to keep the lock plate with the Star and 1836 so i exchanged the parts of the lock. The in the white is not necessary on the Kibler just saying. I have a TVM straight barrel in 40 cal I don't shoot as much because of weight. The swamped barrel of the Kibler is to my advantage because of an accident in 2004. Left arm was paralyzed so left arm rehab was limited so my strength is not what it used to be.

I can understand that. My Pedersoli trade gun has a octagon to round barrel that really helps with the point of balance. My scout feels heavier as the octagonal barrel doesn't taper. Kibler is more but you do get a better rifle. I still think the Pedersoli Kentucky and Pennsylvania rifle kits are a good buy too for a few hundred dollars less.

I can understand that. My Pedersoli trade gun has a octagon to round barrel that really helps with the point of balance. My scout feels heavier as the octagonal barrel doesn't taper. Kibler is more but you do get a better rifle. I still think the Pedersoli Kentucky and Pennsylvania rifle kits are a good buy too for a few hundred dollars less.
I would agree they are nice rifles and I would not be to critical of them if I did not get the Kibler. I just had the resources at the time and I know now I am a little spoiled. So I admit it!

Thanks I wasn't expecting the manufacturer to reply. I do really like the kits and admit I though there was a lot more fitting than there actually is which is a good thing to be wrong about. Thanks Jim. The only question I have do the barrels in the kit come with a threaded vent sleeve? I saw the replacement barrels on your site and it looked as though it just had a vent hole drilled into the side.

Just finished my first Kibler Colonial and now have started the second. In two hours the second was ready to shoot not near finished. Parts just snapped into place with very minor fitting. The first one shot well test firing to align the left and and right and ignition was lighting fast. I didn't have to do any repairs for the gun to work as you are saying about the Pedersoli. You get what you pay for and I am very happy with the Kibler kits and would buy one again. So every out doesn't think I have more money than brains these guns are for other people who just asked me to build them.

Latest posts

Back