• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single stock for Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done 3. Each has a permanently spliced stock without any spacers, 2 with custom made nosecaps. The 3rd was made into a New England half stock with a wood rib.
20231021_163015.jpg

To my knowledge, a one piece "drop in" stock for that kit no longer exists as an after market purchase, if it ever did. Traditions used to offer the Shenandoah rifle which is the same rifle as the Kentucky but with a full one piece stock, if I recall. But I don't think that gun is in production anymore. Do a search on "CVA Kentucky" or "Traditions Kentucky" here in the forum, there are MANY folks who have already pondered, built and modified those old gun kits to remove that brass spacer with good results. Good luck with your new rifle and remember to have fun. Here is a CVA kit gun I rebuilt many years ago and yes it has the original stock, I just removed and glued modified the stock pieces to look like a full stock. It can be done.

Attachments

• 217985-CVA-KENTUCKY-2.jpg
    217985-CVA-KENTUCKY-2.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 217988-CVA-KENTUCKY-5.jpg
    217988-CVA-KENTUCKY-5.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0
Great job thank you for sharing. This is my first kit I will see how I do and later try to convert to a 1 stock thank you again.

I have owned both 45 and 50 caliber CVA Kentucky rifles with the two piece stocks. Believe there is an unfired 45 caliber CVA in the back of the safe today. The reference books I have (Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms for example) only mentions the Traditions Kentucky Rifle (percussion and flint) with the two piece stock being made in 50 caliber, though that doesn’t mean they didn’t miss a 45 caliber being produced. Just don’t remember seeing a reference anywhere to a Traditions in 45 caliber.
I had thought they only made them in 50’s also and I’m not sure if they still make the 45 but they show up on GB occasionally.

I always wondered if one could cut a thin slice of wood to replace the brass between the two pieces of wood and blend it all together so it looks like a one piece stock.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I did a wood shim and epoxied the two stock sections together. Essentially making the traditions two piece stock a single stock. The wood spacer was maple and I didn't attempt to match the colors but I liked how it turned out

I would use a wood shim and glue the two pieces together using the shim. Then blend it in with some judicious staining on the stock using bone black to shade the shim and other areas.

If you search this subject, you will fund a number of posts showing what guys have done with these rifles disguising the joint in the stock.

When I built my Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit I ended up using a piece of wood as filler. The brass spacer was a bit cupped and not wide enough or the front half of the stock was to short causing the muzzle cap not to fit right.
I fit a wood spacer, glued the stock to make it one piece and finished the rifle. I was not to worried about how hidden it was, but I am happy with the way it came out. I wil get a couple of pictures tonight to share.

I always wondered if one could cut a thin slice of wood to replace the brass between the two pieces of wood and blend it all together so it looks like a one piece stock.
Ohio Rusty ><>
It would never look like a one-piece stock. The only way you might accomplish that would be to apply the wooden plug, sand everything down and fill it with wood putty. Then you might sand it even. However, it would still show and when/if you stained the wood the wood putty would never look like the rest of the stock.

The percussion locks are OK for the most part. They are serviceable and can be smoothed out, there are parts available to fix them should the need arise. They do the job. Have not had a flintlock from CVA or Traditions, but have heard some poor quality comments from those who have them.

I bet if you glued it together with a wood shim as mentioned and then did a faux tiger stripe curly finish you could hide the splice pretty much completely.

Well done - there's a lot of potential in these CVA kits if you are bold enough: I've put a couple of 45's together - I just glued the 2 stock sections together as tightly as I could- this sets the fore-end back a bit so the nose cap doesn't fir - I replaced it anyway with a self made unit and added another barrel tenon at the muzzle-end. Also I added lugs to the ramrod pipes so they could be pinned ; filed them octagon and opened them up to take a 3/8" ramrod. I removed a lot of wood and re-shaped the lock escutcheons - also plugging the forward Lock Bolt hole so there's only a single lock screw into the L&R RPL lock. Stained it quite dark so the join is not overly apparent - on the first one I did I put inlays over the joint which also masks it. I can't speak for the current 50 Cals but both of mine have been really accurate. I sold the first one a long time ago but number 2 is staying!

Wow! There are some pretty darn nice CVA Kentucky rifle kit builds shown here. I'd never have imagined these kits could be so nicely modified, but then I'm an all thumbs guy. I did run across a guy who built a number of CVA Mountain Rifle kits that came out looking like higher end guns. Nice work guys!

Back