• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

John Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an update? Is John still making guns and other equipment shown on his Web-Site?
Thanks for any news. Rick.

John, who made my Jamestown Scottish pistol, told me he was ill with cancer some time ago. Apparently he did recover. This was during the time he was making my gun. I always found it easier to reach him by phone rather than by e-mail.

Claypipe:

From what I gathered, from my talk with him, he's getting out of the business.

Sorry to hear that! I haven't talked to him in a year so this is news to me. :(

Is he ill again?

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I got an email from John about a month ago stating that my matchlock was about to ship. I've been waiting since then,and I left a message with his wife last week for a phone update.

It's been about 4+ years since I placed the original order. Still no gun.

My thought is that he makes good guns, he just is very unskilled at managing client communication. I would certainly be willing to wait 4+ years for a well-built gun, the challenge is that in the past I've spoken with him and the gun is frequently on the verge of being finished. It would have been better to just tell me up front that it's going to take years.

As to illness or no illness, that's not something he has shared with me.

I will let you know if and when I receive a firearm.

4-years? Well, that does not make me feel very encouraged at the moment :( I've had a large deposit there since June, 2011 with not a single word from John since that time. No emails or phone calls returned. It's been a while, so I guess I'll try another phone call.
Please do let us hear if you receive your Matchlock. Thanks, Rick.

I guess the good news is that he does seem to be building good guns, just very slowly. My interpretation is that he just doesn't communicate well. Also I would caution anyone against paying a builder for a complete gun before it is finished: I think when I did that, he put me on the back of the list. Just a guess, but that's how it feels.

During the 14 months I waited for my pistol, the best means of communication I had was to call him. He rarely answered e-mail. I might still be waiting for the gun had I not stayed behind him, but four years is far too long to wait for anything like that. I believe by now I would be asking for the return of my deposit. There are many other folks who make matchlocks including some who post here.

An even better plan would be to wait for a used gun to pop up. This forum has featured several used matchlock guns at attractive prices over the past four years.

Sometimes I got John Buck mixed up with Jackie Brown who also makes old style guns, the later sells a lot on American LongRifles forums.

EDIT: I see they also have 'cap and ball conicals'

I'm sorry about that. I too sent him a deposit for half of the amount he charged me but then I stayed on him pretty hard until he finally delivered it. For $1000 I think I might have to file for a small claims judgment in Virginia, which is a creditor-friendly state, assuming he is not going to complete the job.

Offer to go up there and help him finish it over a cool weekend... Win/Win!

You get your gun, bragging rights, have done a good deed, and he gets help plus you as well as the authorities off his back.

Back