• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Joann's - what am I doing wrong ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I went to 2 of their stores - Looking for Drill cloth. Local had none. Second store some 12 miles out - but the site told me they had 20 yd.
When I got to the second store they had NONE. So I got some red ticking - measures 015 with the mic. This works ok in some tight bore t/C and my Woodsrunner 50.
But at twice the price of drill. BTW, the notify me never works.
Just venting a bit.

JoAnn's drill cloth should be found with the other utility cloth. This will be where the osnaberg fabrics and muslins. Often the tickings are in another aisle. So, ask first for thr utility cloth. The bolt will be marked as #40 pocket drill. The cloth can also be ordered on line.

Edited to correct and autocorrect spelling issue (muslin not Muslim).

Last edited:
I commonly go to the thrift store to get my cloth, mostly in the ladies department. I take my micrometer with be and look through the shirts mostly, sometimes the pants and dresses. I find every kind of cloth I need for patching and other projects made from cotton drill and pure linen in different thicknesses. All of these pieces have already been washed and wouldn't shrink any more. Many pieces of heavy pure linen make excellent linen bags and charcloth. Most times I only pay 99 cents to $2.99 for all the cloth I need. Look at the labels. If the label says rayon or other plastic based fabrics, they are passed by.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Today I went to 2 of their stores - Looking for Drill cloth. Local had none. Second store some 12 miles out - but the site told me they had 20 yd.
When I got to the second store they had NONE. So I got some red ticking - measures 015 with the mic. This works ok in some tight bore t/C and my Woodsrunner 50.
But at twice the price of drill. BTW, the notify me never works.
Just venting a bit.
There is always the order online option where I have found what I want in 60” wide material at $3-$5 a yard. Yes, there is shipping, but unless you have to touch the material or the ‘local’ fabric store is a just around the corner, it will take some gas to get there and back. Although I may look when I drive by a fabric selling establishment, I’ve been disappointed too often to consider any of them to be a primary source.

JoAnn’s website says the Drill cloth cannot be shipped.
Seems odd, but that’s what I saw when I tried to order it directly after finding none at two ( reasonably) local stores.

Don - you are right on that. Also, while in the store I overheard an associate talking on the phone to someone engaged in a discussion about items to put on a clearance list. Quite the discussion - as in they seemed to have a hard time communicating with each other - even using the camera to show HQ the items and shelf layout. I thought it both funny and disturbing that they could not understand what the other was talking about. No offense, but to me it was poor language skills and education. It showed.
I think they need better people to run the operation. In the first store the associate saw that their site showed there were 20 yards of material, but she could not find it in the store - anywhere. Yes, it's a utility but was nowhere to be found in that section - so she took the time to look around in other areas and came up with zip. So, she wonders if some other employee just failed to put it back where it belonged. How do 20 yards of material just disappear ?
Also, it looks like management has some issues of their own regarding inventory control.
And yeah - why can't it be shipped ? OK, I get the no return policy.
My overall impression was "no wonder they have to reorganize".
Time for more searching.

Yeah, they’re not shipping drill, and when I ordered it for pickup from the local Joann’s, they let me order and pay for it, then sent an email saying it was out of stock and they refunded my money and gave me a coupon. I wrote back and asked why I needed a coupon if they didn’t have what I wanted to buy, and they said I should check back, as the stores restock every couple of weeks.
Jay

Just to show everyone how screwed up this company is --- yes, I sent an email to state my issue to them - included info was the name of the item.

Today I get an email back - they want to now the stock number. ? ? ? ! ! ! ! how screwed up can America get ?
Having worked in sales, operations, and customer service I think these people are just stupid.
Now tell me, how hard would it be IF YOUR customer let you know of an issue with your website or store and INSTEAD of doing your own search you had to ask your customer to tell you the item number and description ??? when that was info was already sent to you !

I JUST HATE IT WHEN A COMPANY DOES BUSINESS BY ACCIDENT - you deserve to fail

Sad state of affairs with JoAnns. I was able to order 2 yards of the pocket drill fabric online some months back just to try. It was delivered in a timely manner. I was pleased with it and recently tried to reorder. Ran into the same problem as previous posters namely, “unable to ship” pocket drill. A scan of stock in my area showed two stores with it in stock but, “unable to ship”. Unfortunately both were 20 to 30 miles (plus a $7 bridge toll) away. Not worth it to me at this time. I even contacted the store nearest to me, asking if they had a way to order it themselves from one of the other locations and have it shipped to the nearby store. They told me it was not possible to do.

Guess we will just have to wait until things settle down after whatever reorganization is being done.

Back