• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First new thread post (pic heavy)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machino

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster. Like most here the passion of muzzleloaders has rooted itself deep. I glean lots of information here and so I thought I might contribute a little something.

I have built and rebuilt and number of guns including muzzleloaders and though never shooting an elk with one (though I've come close), I wanted a dedicated big big game rifle. I decided to go with a .54 Kibler Woodsrunner and it was a blast. I tried carving for the first time. Much different than checkering and it was intimidating at first. I feel like I nailed it, at least for me that is. After a few months between newborn, toddler, and mommy time the project was finished and it was ready for the field. I got my uncle to engrave all the brass. I wanted to have him scratch the lock but he didn't for some reason. I was happy to get what I got. Here are some photos of the build.
IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6333.jpeg

IMG_6335.jpeg
IMG_6167.jpeg

IMG_6334.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg

71807641295__AA7B60A2-8F27-4EB9-81C5-59E57FCA643F 2.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

The gun shoots great. Ignition is top notch. I've shot Goex my whole life so I wasn't going to change for this one. I'm shooting 95gr 3F in the pipe and 3F in the pan. Love turning heads at the range slamming 6" gongs at 100 on the regular. I felt very confident going into the season and my family needed fed.

I had some early success. Two deer with the Woodsrunner was great and all, but i needed more. I headed to the ol Bob Marshall where a cow was legal and i knew i could get that “good” meat. I set out early which was a mistake. I soon happened on 30 sets of eyes in the dark. Kicking myself i quietly dove into a deep creek draw. Loaded a ball down the pipe and waited. When day break came I searched for them making elevation only to see 80 head still low and in the creek. After repositioning three times I was in em good. I weaseled my way into a quake of aspens and had some at 60. I set the gun on the perfect limb rest of an aspen, but my lane wasn’t working out. I watched one after the other filter through and the shot was junk. I reassessed and crawled a little further in. Another window popped up and i saw two cow walk through it and i knew the shot would be cleared. I quickly got my gun on my knee and said the next cow walking past that lane is getting it. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but this time was story book. A nice fat cow steps into the lane, stops, broadside, and no one in front or back of her. Boom! The wind was blowing so hard i even got to see what happened immediately after. I saw a mark behind her shoulder. All the elk run. Thunder of gun created thunder of hooves. None look hit. Im waiting and watching. Then one straggler in the back appears. Shes got blood running down from her shoulder and I knew immediately it was over. She stopped and toppled. What glory!
She went down at 8:30. I had the meat all packaged up by 11:30. It was tough out. 25 degrees and 30mph plus winds. The fire did nothing. 14 total miles. 7 meat miles. I got 268 lbs of elk out. Heart, hide, and all. What and epic day!
IMG_6347.jpeg

IMG_6351.jpg

I echo what others have said. That rifle is a fine piece of work! And congratulations on a successful hunt.

Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster. Like most here the passion of muzzleloaders has rooted itself deep. I glean lots of information here and so I thought I might contribute a little something.

I have built and rebuilt and number of guns including muzzleloaders and though never shooting an elk with one (though I've come close), I wanted a dedicated big big game rifle. I decided to go with a .54 Kibler Woodsrunner and it was a blast. I tried carving for the first time. Much different than checkering and it was intimidating at first. I feel like I nailed it, at least for me that is. After a few months between newborn, toddler, and mommy time the project was finished and it was ready for the field. I got my uncle to engrave all the brass. I wanted to have him scratch the lock but he didn't for some reason. I was happy to get what I got. Here are some photos of the build.
View attachment 276797
View attachment 276801
View attachment 276802View attachment 276803
View attachment 276804
View attachment 276807
View attachment 276808
View attachment 276809

The gun shoots great. Ignition is top notch. I've shot Goex my whole life so I wasn't going to change for this one. I'm shooting 95gr 3F in the pipe and 3F in the pan. Love turning heads at the range slamming 6" gongs at 100 on the regular. I felt very confident going into the season and my family needed fed.

I had some early success. Two deer with the Woodsrunner was great and all, but i needed more. I headed to the ol Bob Marshall where a cow was legal and i knew i could get that “good” meat. I set out early which was a mistake. I soon happened on 30 sets of eyes in the dark. Kicking myself i quietly dove into a deep creek draw. Loaded a ball down the pipe and waited. When day break came I searched for them making elevation only to see 80 head still low and in the creek. After repositioning three times I was in em good. I weaseled my way into a quake of aspens and had some at 60. I set the gun on the perfect limb rest of an aspen, but my lane wasn’t working out. I watched one after the other filter through and the shot was junk. I reassessed and crawled a little further in. Another window popped up and i saw two cow walk through it and i knew the shot would be cleared. I quickly got my gun on my knee and said the next cow walking past that lane is getting it. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but this time was story book. A nice fat cow steps into the lane, stops, broadside, and no one in front or back of her. Boom! The wind was blowing so hard i even got to see what happened immediately after. I saw a mark behind her shoulder. All the elk run. Thunder of gun created thunder of hooves. None look hit. Im waiting and watching. Then one straggler in the back appears. Shes got blood running down from her shoulder and I knew immediately it was over. She stopped and toppled. What glory!
She went down at 8:30. I had the meat all packaged up by 11:30. It was tough out. 25 degrees and 30mph plus winds. The fire did nothing. 14 total miles. 7 meat miles. I got 268 lbs of elk out. Heart, hide, and all. What and epic day!
View attachment 276805
View attachment 276806

View attachment 276797
View attachment 276801
View attachment 276802View attachment 276803
View attachment 276804
View attachment 276807
View attachment 276808
View attachment 276809

View attachment 276805
View attachment 276806
Beautiful rifle great hunting story congratulations 👏

Totally blown away by the engraving, carving and wood finishing. I need to go and do some laundry or house cleaning or something to take my mind off of it ......

Ya, I was lucky to have my uncle engrave some of the furniture. I might still send him the lock if he would be up for it. Its kind of a touchy subject, but he and my father had sort of a falling out that fortunately seems like they made amends. Both had a life full of hurdles like coming back from wars and dying wives, etc. All that being said, I always looked up to him, and his talents were echoed in my blood and I needed to have him scratch it up. I'd have it no other way! Funny thing. I wanted him to engrave our last name into the side plate. He sent it back with my name scratched in the back side of the side lock. Lol. My father said he always hated that because of the resale. Aint never selling this pea shooter!

Thanks for the compliments. I learn a lot here and its cool to share with those who appreciate the craft. I need that Kibler Fowler ASAP! Heres a cool photo I found of a quick and dirty mock up
70935815245__851262A9-4E9E-4449-AE00-F42B0A740DC1.jpeg

Back