• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Joined the forum about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Sense then I shot about 300 PRB in my Lyman Trade Gun and learned some things with some help and on my own. !. I learned to brown a barrel, use Mark Lee. 2. I learned it was me not the gun or the load or patch or lube, took a lot of concentration to shoot a flintlock and make these old eyes work. ( lots of help from the forum) 3. Learned how to raise a vent to the sunrise position by shimming the tang and barrel. 4. Learned how to store my swabbing patches on a safety pin so the easily assessable and not all over. 5. Learned how to make hollow point .490 round balls. (On my own)
20230810_142830.jpg20230810_142901.jpg20230810_143037.jpg
Thanks for all the help'
Phil

Joined the forum about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Sense then I shot about 300 PRB in my Lyman Trade Gun and learned some things with some help and on my own. !. I learned to brown a barrel, use Mark Lee. 2. I learned it was me not the gun or the load or patch or lube, took a lot of concentration to shoot a flintlock and make these old eyes work. ( lots of help from the forum) 3. Learned how to raise a vent to the sunrise position by shimming the tang and barrel. 4. Learned how to store my swabbing patches on a safety pin so the easily assessable and not all over. 5. Learned how to make hollow point .490 round balls. (On my own)
View attachment 243877View attachment 243878View attachment 243879
Thanks for all the help'
Phil
How do you like your Lyman Trade Gun Flat? Saw one in a local gun shop the other day and it got my attention.

A hollow point round ball will not work well.

You've destabilized one side of the ball.

Outside of that, good job. The browning looks nice.

PS: How much pressure is on the wedge and key since shimming the tang and barrel? How much free space is there under the entire length of the barrel? Does the shimming the tang and barrel markedly improve performance?

Last edited:
PS: How much pressure is on the wedge and key since shimming the tang and barrel? How much free space is there under the entire length of the barrel? Does the shimming the tang and barrel markedly improve performance?
Put two small washers under the tang screws and small piece of wood like a 1.5 inch piece of popsicle stick under the bottom of tang and the breach plug. Had to open the staple up a bit so the key would go in correctly.
Phil
PS. Haven't shot any of those hollow points yet.

Last edited:
Back