• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is Mother-of-Pearl acceptable for inlay?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The original poster asked about the appropriateness of mop on a fowler. Unless specified otherwise that means to most pople and to people familiar with fowlers, an English or American birding piece. He did not ask about these other types of firearms. Yes, the Indians did decorate their firearms in interesting and often rather odd ways. They no doubt butchered a few fine fowlers along the way. Don't know if they stuck any mop on them, but I would hardly be surprised to hear they did. Once saw a horribly abused Trapdoor with a piece of broken mirror crudely fitted into the buttstock. None of which has anything to do with the O.P.'s question, I suppose..

Properly and skillfully done, as an accent say, mop works--on the proper gun. I think that I would still prefer ivory in the same small amount, but either works. There were some lovely fowlers made with silver wire inlay that are beautiful--usually later pieces. The ones I've seen anyway.

Ivory is quite nice, as well. I'm thinking about incorporating some mammoth ivory in this monster rifle I have in mind.

joehenz said:
I found what I think is a really cool 18th century looking inlay of a gryphon on a website that sells shell inlay for guitars

I think that would look really cool on a guitar :grin:

And ya know? it is kinda a 18th century looking gryphon :hmm:

I don't think I'll put one on my next gun build :surrender: . I put alot of time and money into these things ya know? I don't think I need a gryphon. :surrender:

Cosmoline said:
This fellow has some advice on the subject, and photos:

The mother-of-pearl and abalone inlays are done in the same manner as the metal inlays; cut to shape with a jeweler's saw and a diamond wheel on a Dremel tool, with a bevel on the edge, glued on the spot, traced with the knife, popped off, and carved out. I confess; only gel superglue holds these in, but I've never lost any.
http://greyhavenarms.com/fowler.aspx

Course I'm sure this fella is just a pimp and a hack like the rest of us MOP lovers :

fowl196.JPG

:grin:

Can't say as to whether he's a pimp. He's definitely not a hack and given all the other irons he's got in the fire, I don't see how he'd have time for pimping too. Actually, never having been a pimp, I've no idea how much time is involved in it. If you don't mind sharing the information, what is the time investment? And the tax liability, if that isn't getting too personal. :wink:

If you are going to use mop, this a good way to do it. As an accent, in small amounts to set off the design. Not as the main statement. And on a later gun. This one is actually more rifle than fowler and in a sense is a "nevawuz". But it's a very nice one and neatly put together. Kind of a composite piece, maybe a buck'n'ball gun. I doubt a pimp would find it gaudy enough and it would be difficult to conceal under street clothes, wouldn't it? It would need one Hell of a shoulder holster that's for sure! Well, enough leg pullin'and pot stirrin' for one day, time for bed. Nite. :v

Last edited by a moderator:
A gryphon or in fact a number of mythical creatures could be used on a fowler in lieu of a side plate. Sometimes these would be used to give a military flavor to an officer's fowler. Even a version of ye olde family crest. These were done in silver and sometimes brass, but silver was best by far. Still is. Blakley's of England may still offer some castings. That's the way I'd go. I remember an F & I period English fowler from forty years past that had someone's family crest worked into the side plate with the silver beautifully patinated by the centuries. Surely its owner must have felt it's loss for many years if he survived the war. The Gryphon is a fine symbol. So is a Phoenix. In sterling silver of course! :thumbsup:

Well Rusty, there you go ASSumpting again. I'm not a button collector, just have accumulated a bunch over the years. I have about the same amount of mine' balls but don't consider myself an expert. I do know alot of knowlegable people and some of them are knotheads, and friends also.As far as my reply was concerned, it was directed towards mop since there seemed to be so much distain towards it. I did mention silver, health risks, and seeking more information about the use of mop. So I guess it was waste of time to reply :shake: So have a wonderful day , but even if it was perfect you probably would find something to gripe about. It's been nice but I think this journey has run it's course

Anyone who "amASSes" as many buttons as you seem to have and knows what percentage of them are mop, is either a collector or has some sort of fetish, or is into sewing buttons on anything that moves and most things that don't. You don't have a giant ball of string hiding around the place do you?

Wasn't bitching about anything. Trying to point out that the O.P. asked a simple question and got some off track answers. Refresh my memory--at what point did he need to know that out of the thousands of old buttons you have collected, 25% are mop? What possible connection does that have to a question about a fowler? Thousands of old buttons, man???? A person doesn't accidentally wind up with that many buttons unless Mom made dresses or OCD is in the picture. What do you do with them? Or don't we want to know?

Anyway, Rick, you go fondle your buttons--25% of which are mop--and remember to wash your hands before AND after. :v

Note how I have stayed well above the fray...

:grin:

For an American gun (or even a European gun) of the 18th century, of more ordinary grade, horn or bone would be FAR more common and appropriate. Cheap to the point of being almost free, as opposed to the expensive mother of pearl. Not to mention vastly easier to work with. More easily shaped, more easily carved, more easily engraved. :wink:

I think y'all scared joehenz away! :shocked2:

Yup, Chris, very true. And they are more durable, too. Not as apt to glint in sunlight and give your position away, either. Bone takes on the look of ivory as it ages and horn mellows nicely too. :thumbsup:

Make pretty good buttons too, I expect. But I ain't hardly an expert on that... :rotf:

I wonder if they were just a bunch of inlays to personalize the gun or if they had meaning. Either way that gun does absolutely nothing for me. What on earth were they thinking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back