• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian made bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loyalist Dave said:
So far the Indian barrels sent to European proof houses by members of this forum have all passed. An American made barrel did not.

LD

What was that American made of?

Just to mention that the Polish dealer I am aware of has his successfully proofed in Germany. BTW the German proof requires the proof firing to be repeated 5 times.

The Spanish batch test is for production guns made in Spain and thy require that all the barrels in a batch are demonstrably made from the same batch of steel and machined on the same machinery i.e. identical in material and form.

Whilst I think of it. India has a government proof house too which is founded upon British practice. Once the gun is proofed it legally becomes a firearm subject to assorted laws and export restrictions.

The forum member didn't say. He merely said he'd bought a rifle from an American builder, a semi-custom builder using a name brand barrel, and sent it to his local proofing house where it failed. I suspect it was improperly breeched, not an actual "barrel failure", and my reason to suspect this is I've bought a barrel in the past offered to be delivered with the breech plug in place, and I found it was short of being flush with the rifling, but that's conjecture on my part as it applies to the European failure.

On the other hand the German house is very very precise in their pre-inspection, and if your touch hole is too large, you fail before any further tests are attempted. Could've been as simple as that.

A barrel "failure" is not limited to it bursting.

LD

Latest posts

Back