• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian made bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember some of the flechette rounds being experimented with during the Vietnam war and have stuffed cut up hangers in a 12 ga. myself just for fun. They were pretty devastating at close range.

Yep and if I was after a guy that wronged my daughter I'd sure want to devastate him the mostest, and at close range. In war though I'm pretty sure incapacitating him would do just fine :idunno:

The French experimented with musket balls with a nail projecting from the rear to improve their accuracy which it did apparently.

Huh.....I had heard some Continentals during the AWI were found with such ball in their muskets, but it was supposed by the writer to cause worse wounds...I had not heard about accuracy. I wonder how that would work?

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
The French experimented with musket balls with a nail projecting from the rear to improve their accuracy which it did apparently.

Huh.....I had heard some Continentals during the AWI were found with such ball in their muskets, but it was supposed by the writer to cause worse wounds...I had not heard about accuracy. I wonder how that would work?

LD
LD you have read Oliver Wiswell, good read for a man with your user name! :thumbsup:

In fact I have a very early edition of that novel.

I liked it not only for the story, BUT also the fact that the author, who also wrote Northwest Passage, Rabble in Arms, and Arundel, was able to write a story in 1940 as the world was approaching WWII, that had American audiences rooting FOR the Brits and the Loyalists.

In fact I use it as the basis for my person when speaking to tourist in First Person at events. While I am a "Serjeant", prior to the outbreak of the AWI I was a tavern keeper (I can discuss brewing with people too if they wish) and I agreed with my neighbors that we as Americans had grievances with Parliament, but when they wanted to arm themselves and fight fellow British subjects, I refused to participate in that with them....so they branded me a traitor, seized my inn, and tossed me and the family out. So much for the "rights of every man", and from my perspective, they are the problem, not a Parliament 3000 miles away which passes laws, which we ignore.... :wink:

LD

Aren't the bbls a form of pipe? And unproved?

The safety seems dubious at best. We're talking about containing an explosion that is right next to your sensory and cognition center, not a super soaker.

The lack of transparency from these makers gives me 0 confidence. Maybe if they'd have some material on their sites showing what these guns were actually made of and how and show some testing for safety, I'd consider one.

Until then, I'd buy a modern European musket made of proper gun steels with well designed breeches made by trusted companies like Pedersoli that by law are ALL proved in a national proof house that uses state of the art equipmenent. When it comes to safety, the Europeans do not skimp.

What do the Indians in their little blacksmith shops do?

There are NO European proof houses for black powder guns. I'm not hating on Pedersoli, I have 7 of their guns and love them. They do not proof every barrel. The 8 to 10% of barrel's tested are recycled and reformed.

all foreign made muzzleloaders that are meant to be fired are proofed. indian made one are not. they are meant to be wall hangers.

rj morrison said:
all foreign made muzzleloaders that are meant to be fired are proofed. indian made one are not. they are meant to be wall hangers.
OK, lots of bbls for all types of guns made right here in the USA. Where's our proof house?

For the umpteenth time.

The barrels are made from hydraulic pipe yes. These are modern steel of more than enough quality to do the job and far better than ever left the best barrel makers of the flintlock period. Industrial high pressure large volume hydraulic piping is not made like your water pipes but close to aerospace standards. Sellers quote the type of steel if you want to look up the qualities of that international standard.

They are not made as wall hangers. They are made to be fired. However, in India they cannot be exported with drilled touch holes because they become firearms under Indian law and subject to export restrictions. Exporting them undrilled allows them to be exported.

They are sold across Europe and all have to be proofed before being sold. They routinely pass UK, German, French, Italian and Spanish proofs.

They are less well finished and with less well made locks than Pedersoli for example. What would one expect when they are half the price? You get what you pay for and that is fine if they are safely made, which they are.

There are NO European proof houses for black powder guns.

No, that isn't true.

There are no standards for any of the International Proof houses when it comes to black powder. There are agreed upon pressures and tests for smokeless cartridges.

The proof houses that are members of the CIP place thier black powder proof mark upon those barrels that pass the individual proof house tests. The German and English proof houses give a test that is almost 2X the pressure of the Italian house. The Spanish proof house "batch tests" barrels, so they don't necessarily proof every individual barrel.

RJ Morrison wrote:
all foreign made muzzleloaders that are meant to be fired are proofed. indian made one are not.
All European made barrels that are meant to be fired are proofed in countries requiring proofed barrels, but you may find countries in Eastern Europe have proof houses that don't belong to the CIP, yet since the black powder proof tests are arbitrary for each proof house, it matters not.

Further Japanese barrels and American barrels are not proofed, since America has no CIP proof-house, and neither does Japan.

So far the Indian barrels sent to European proof houses by members of this forum have all passed. An American made barrel did not.

LD

Latest posts

Back