• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India Made Repros

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkvd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All

I am new to the ML scene,I am sure this topic has been bashed to pieces but will anyone admit to purchasing and using these and living to tell about it? I know a few Indian made Musket versions are offered that are not available by any other maker,the prices aren't exactly give away rates too.

:hmm: Regards,Rob

All the ones I have are nice muskets, they shoot as good as any smoothbore I ve seen.

And oh yeah this has been beaten to death :haha:

Rob

Do a search in the "smooth-bore" category, I think. There is a very long thread on this topic. I remember it as being very recently hot again, so you may only have to go a page or two back to find it.
My two cents: I had one and wasn't impressed with the quality of workmanship. Sold it relatively quickly. But, if you're looking at new, The price is considerably lower than the higher quality ones and will get you by. Have you thought about used. There's one that looks nice right here in the "Classified Ads" section, and it's a Pedersoli.

yea...topic has been beaten to death..
I still stand by my statements though!
I see nothing wrong with em...
I have yet a India BLUNDERBUSS that will totally surprise you at 35 yd accuracy with a .678 ball!!
to each His own....

I think you'll find that knowledgeable people who have had a chance to examine these guns aren't particularly impressed with their quality--either in terms of fit and finish or in terms of historical accuracy. They tend to be overweight and many of them are poor representations of the guns they are supposed to copy. For example, the Cookson fowler that I have seen doesn't look much like the original. More like a caricature of the old gun. Better to have called it an early fowler with a dogcatch lock and let it go at that.
Among those that actually own them or have owned them, opinions vary. Some swear by them and others are quite happy to be rid of them. Of the people that I know who actually bought one, none still has one and they all were disappointed with the guns. Others are extremely pleased with their guns. It strikes me that the folks who bought Brown Besses are generally pleased with their guns. Perhaps this is because the Bess is a familiar piece in India and ws copied there in period. It is also wise to recall that quality varies wildly from maker to maker and distributor to distributor.

I guess this topic will roll on for ever & ever & ever & ever & ever & ever... :yakyak:
and No matter what is said.......
people will still purchase them.....
must be the enticing price....if they are in fact so badly fitted together and finished...
...mine was put together very well and the finish was great...that Indian musta been smokin sum good stuff the day he made mine! or maybe he wasnt smoking anything that day???

~~~~~~~ I am Done with this topic~~~~~~~~
:rotf: :rotf:

I will 'fess up as to owning a blunderbuss. I got mine on an online auction at a very good price. I had written the seller and he said it was a shooter, the same as others costing $2-300 more, but I would have to harden the frizzen and drill the vent hole. Easily done....I also made a sling swivel, button and sling for it. I have a friend who has one that was purchased new in shooting shape (more $$), he slimmed the stock, refinished it and had a mutual friend put period stamps on it. Looks very nice now!

YEA...the Blunderbusses are irresitable..I have one too,,no problems with it..shoots 70 gr FFF & ANYTHING I shove down the barrel....
Man those things are LOUD!!!IS THAT cause thebore is closer to yer face? :rotf:

Be advised that a number of "India made" muskets have blown up at various reenactments. Most recently a Brown Bess at a RevWar event. Most of these are probably fine but some apparently slip by quality control. It might be advisable to have your India-made repro checked out or proofed by a competitant gunsmith familiar with muzzle loading muskets.

Curator,

You said a number of these have blown up. I know of one last fall that is still under examination. Could you list some or all of the others that you are aware of?

Thanks

Don R

I don't believe this is true (no offense intended, curator)!!! This has been discussed to death on this forum. The current information available has been that "1" has had a burst barrel. That one was built by an unidentified maker. If you have information on others, please let us know the specifics.

Hello All

I have read of this one Bess that blew up but has anyone ever heard from the person who had the rifle to see what load he may have used or what the barrel interior showed? I know some are not
perfect in every respect but what was the quality
control in the 1700's?

Cheers,Rob

I bought the doglock Cookson New England fowler two years ago and have only used it for reenacting. I loved it ,the metal to wood fit was generally good with only one small area around the serpent sideplate being filled in. But like all my guns that I did not build; I had to tinker with it. I recarved and slimmed down the lock and wrist area to make it more resemble the original. This included carving beavertails behind the lock and sideplate flats, and flattening the shell carving behind the barrel tang. I generally took a lot off of the lock area and forearm ,and then restained it. I will probably also reshape and lighten the trigger guard. Although the springs are heavy ,it sparks well, yet hasn't busted flints. The one thing that took getting used to was the true doglock action---there is no halfcock notch on the tumbler. When getting ready to prime the pan in a military manual sequence ;I have to reverse my normal grip and flip the dog up with my thumb while pulling back the cock with index and middle fingers to bring it to halfcock.
Yes, when I saw that Roman nosed stock with it's 51 inch barrel and serpent sideplate ; all powered by a large three screw doglock...it was love at first sight and I had to have it. The price was right then and I wouldn't part from it for twice the price!!!Ron

Bill S. said:
I don't believe this is true (no offense intended, curator)!!! This has been discussed to death on this forum. The current information available has been that "1" has had a burst barrel. That one was built by an unidentified maker. If you have information on others, please let us know the specifics.

I agree -1- musket from a UNKNOWN source fails and its all I hear about...YET no one talks abouut the piedersoli that blew up.

I think people with knoledge and a good eye who own these guns really like them and what with a small amount of work they can be... I do

My musket is every bit as good as any piedersoli I have seen and actually is better then most, In fact I am still after 1 year working on my piedersoli to make it comparible to my Loyalist Long land.

These are quality products, I have shot hundreds of different guns and like these.

Also most of the people that talk about how the Indian guns look nothing like originals...

I cant help but be amused. have even one of these folk SEEN a musket that was FRESH from a 1700s armory???

The answer is EASY it is NO....

All these learned folk have seen and handeled origionals that are 300 or so years old!!

that have been worn down refinished and what not how many times.

Indian parts are more like those of the 18th century as they are hand made, and if mine is a basic example of Loyalists work, Then they are doing better then the italians.

Dont get me wrong here I LOVE the customs that builders create they are a fine testamony to the olden builders.

Theres no need to get insulting to people who really like their muskets that are not custom made.

I wouldent sell my long land for 2 thousand dollars if I was asked, she is as fine a musket as any could be.

In fact last night I was practicing with my reinactment group and couldent help but notice how much -finer- my longland is in direct side by side comparison with the piedersolis and track of the wolf long land muskets in attendance.

Thats the straight deal.

Any how pardon me for the long rant , I am finished with this subject for now.

Rob

Also most of the people that talk about how the Indian guns look nothing like originals...

I cant help but be amused. have even one of these folk SEEN a musket that was FRESH from a 1700s armory???

The answer is EASY it is NO....

All these learned folk have seen and handeled origionals that are 300 or so years old!!

that have been worn down refinished and what not how many times.
:rotf:
I have handled MANY original Bess's and other original military muskets of the period that had very little use and were likely never refinished. The India muskets are poorly built cartoons compared to the real thing. They are what they are. Built from a picture of a gun by people living in a 3rd world country that have never seen an original of what they're building other than a fuzzy photo. They are using metal of questionable origin and wood that is down right awful. The wood to metal fit is embarrassing. Some body ought to buy these guys some sharp chisels and a little inletting black. If I built guns this poorly I'd be out of business over night. :shake: It is beyond me why people keep throwing away good money on these things.

Mike Brooks said:
It is beyond me why people keep throwing away good money on these things.

Mike, since my next gun is likely to be a Loyalist gun from India, I thought I’d actually try and answer your question. :)

I completely understand the objections that can be raised by those who have many, many, many, times more expertise than me about calling a certain gun a “Brown Bess” or a “Hawken” when there are significant differences that can be pointed out between the real thing and the modern copy. If it doesn’t actually copy a real Brown Bess then it shouldn’t be called a Brown Bess, I agree.

Personally, I can't dispute the authenticity of the appearance of any of the guns, Italian, Indian, or custom made, since the plain fact is that I’ve never handled an original, and looking at one from a couple feet away through glass in a display case isn’t even close to what I’d learn actually handling one, my experience with swords verifies that.

A hobby I had for years was the study of Japanese swords. I am VERY familiar with real Japanese swords, and the general “Samurai” swords you see in martial arts stores and catalogs and malls are at best some vague interpretation of a real sword. To paraphrase what someone here on the forum once said about production “Hawkens”, I suppose they sorta look like katana if you’re driving past at 50 miles/hour and squint your eyes just right. But my wife, who has no particular interest in swords other than controlling how much I spent on them, can’t notice the differences for most until I point them out, she says they’re too subtle to really matter. I say they are glaringly obvious.

Here’s the thing though. Whether they are correct for someone to own depends on what he/she will use it for.

For the guy who is going to hang it on his wall the cheap ones will do. I sure wouldn’t want to be around if he ever decided to do something with it, like practice cutting (tamagashiri) , the things are absolutely very dangerous. VERY poorly made, dangerously made! But as general “Japanese” wall decoration they’re ok, I guess. SOME of the Indian guns fall into a category like this.

Then there are the better versions, still rather cheap, a couple hundred to maybe $1000, “aesthetically challenged” as far as reproductions of actual swords, but physically well made (although not as good as the originals), and certainly safe for practice cutting. Some guy might be going to do weekend martial arts (Iaido uses real swords for tamagashiri, as do some practitioners of Kenjutsu). He's not a collector, he just wants a sword to use for the occasional practice cutting. This is a good choice for him, it doesn’t make sense for him to spend thousands more on a top quality sword that he won't use that much. I look at SOME of the Indian guns as being in a similar category.

But if you’re serious about having a sword really as good as the originals, aesthetically and physically accurate copies of antique katana, you’re going to be looking at $2000 (if you’re lucky), $3000, and up, individually made by a very skilled swordsmith. You might wait 2 or 3 years for a custom sword. If you are a serious collector or very serious martial artist in a sword art, you will probably want this quality of sword. You will not be satisfied with the lower quality products. This is like the serious reenactor in muzzleloading, or someone seriously studying the history and weapons and so on.

AS FOR INDIAN GUNS ”“ With muzzleloaders I’m like the guy with the middle quality sword.

I’d like to get a short version of the Brown Bess. Or it would be more accurate to say I’d like to get a smoothbore flintlock in the general style of the short versions of the Brown Bess. Something similar to the Sea Service model, or the India Pattern, or the musketoon maybe. Authenticity isn’t a particular concern of mine. I don’t care if that appearance is historically correct or not, as long as it shoots ok for the rather limited use (compared to you for example) that I’ll make of it. I’m not looking for a reproduction of a Brown Bess. I’m looking for a gun in the general style of a Brown Bess. Call it Brown Bess-ish.

Why people buy the Indian or Italian repros when they can get a much better and more accurate copy of those guns from other sources (TOW kits, for example)? For me there are three reasons.

First, I’m not really concerned with the accuracy of the appearance. I don’t go to any BP gatherings, so no one except me and my family will ever see the gun. I’m not trying to accurately recreate a particular era or location or person at all. I’m going to hunt with it, and do a little target practice.

Second, I shoot less than a pound of BP a year. About 2 pounds in 3 years. At that rate of usage, it simply doesn’t make sense for me to spend $1500-$2000, or more, on a really well made accurate copy from a gun maker.

And third, I have not found any non-Indian made production guns that are what I’m looking for, a shorter Brown Bess-ish gun.

Those three reasons are why my next gun will most likely be a Loyalist gun.

It’s hard to judge from the comments I read about the quality. Some say they quality is very high. Some say the quality is terrible. The problem is that I read the same things about the quality of the various US or Italian made production guns, which I’ve found to be fine for my use, so what should I conclude about the Indian guns based on these comments? I will say, however, that there is at least one Indian company that I wouldn’t get a gun from if they were giving them away, based on their own information on their own website, but I won’t name it.

Anyway, that’s my take on why some people (at least me) will buy the Indian guns. I’m sure others have different views.

Take care! :hatsoff:
-Squirrel Tail

I own both Indian made and Custom made. Overall, I find the Indian made guns simply a poor facsimile of the originals. My biggest complaint is the amount of excess wood. You would think this would be an easy thing to correct in manufacturing, or in the design stage? And yes, the inleting leaves alot to be desired. One of the reasons I think the Indian guns will continue to sell is simple economics. The last time I checked, the Factory List Price for a Pedersoli 1766 Charleville was $1,250.00 With European type production costs and the cost of raw material (especially anything metal) this price will probably continue to climb over the next year or two. Actually, I find the discussions about the Indian guns interesting. It reminds me of the quality discussions on Factory made muzzleloaders back in the early to mid 1970's. The quality improved after some bad publicity AND lost sales.

You know I see the same discussions going on in the Sword Forum I'm a member of.Collectors with the $1000 to $2000 swords putting down the $200 to $300 swords and I have both in my collection. You know not everyone can afford the higher end swords or muskets and thats ok. The important thing is that we're getting new blood into the hobby. If they are in the hoppy long enough they may upgrade to better quality but lets not embarrass them out of it by saying their equipment is junk. I own a custom built Transition longrifle,a Pedesoli Brown Bess, a Pedersoli Quigley Sharps and a Indian made Sea Service pistol. Yes, if I had to keep only one it would be the longrifle but I like them all.

Hello All

Thanks for all the comments,opinions are still about 50/50! :applause:

Cheers,Rob

Latest posts

Back