• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weight of Military heritage fusil & northwest trade guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello friends! I am really interested in purchasing either a fusil de chasse or northwest trade gun (ordinary or chief's version) from military heritage. I know that these aren't the best quality, however, it is probably all that I can afford over the next little while unfortunately.

curious if any folks here own either? And if so, can you give a measurement of its weight?

I do know that people here have said the Indian made guns tend to be chunkier than the more elegant custom built ones. As I am looking for a lightweight fusil or NW trade gun from MH and I don't yet have the skill to do woodwork (just started dabbling in this hobby), I wanted to get an idea of how much weightier the MH pieces actually are?

Thanks a ton! :)

Last edited:
Hello friends! I am really interested in purchasing either a fusil de chasse or northwest trade gun (ordinary or chief's version) from military heritage. I know that these aren't the best quality, however, it is probably all that I can afford over the next little while unfortunately.

curious if any folks here own either? And if so, can you give a measurement of its weight?

I do know that people here have said the Indian made guns tend to be chunkier than the more elegant custom built ones. As I am looking for a lightweight fusil or NW trade gun from MH and I don't yet have the skill to do woodwork (just started dabbling in this hobby), I wanted to get an idea of how much weightier the MH pieces actually are?

Thanks a ton! :)

The weights vary, I’d put them on the heavy side between 11-13 lbs.

Access/ Military Heritage fowler doglock. It weighs 8 pounds.
IMG_1127.jpeg

Thanks so much ArmorerRoy! That info is really appreciated! :)
Based on your info, I estimate the fusil de chasse to be about the same, because it is thinner at .625 caliber rather than .69, but it is a bit longer (60 vs 58 in)

And based on what you said I am hoping that the Tecumseh trade gun will be < 7 pounds , since it is thinner at .625 and it is only 52 in long. If anyone owns one, I'd love to confirm, thanks again!

Access/ Military Heritage fowler doglock. It weighs 8 pounds.
View attachment 306694

Thanks so much ArmorerRoy! That info is really appreciated! :)
Based on your info, I estimate the fusil de chasse to be about the same, because it is thinner at .625 caliber rather than .69, but it is a bit longer (60 vs 58 in)

And based on what you said I am hoping that the Tecumseh trade gun will be < 7 pounds , since it is thinner at .625 and it is only 52 in long. If anyone owns one, I'd love to confirm, thanks again!
I have two Fusee De Chasse from MH that both weight bit over eight pounds.My Northwest Trade gun Weighs seven and a half pounds in the long version.
I have had good fun working on these guns and shooting!
LBL

FWIW if you can get the same model from Veteran Arms, then I would highly recommend it.

I have a brass-barreled blunderbuss in "for repair" right now ... and the build quality is simply ATROCIOUS!

And yet I've inspected and actually have personally shot 3 VA flintlock arms myself and all their locks as received worked and sparked well, needing ZERO tweaking or input from the User. VA also drills for the touch hole and goes though them. Comparable arms between the 2 sources cost $150 more from VA than MH, but I do feel that they are build to a much higher quality standard.

This MH Donderbusche on the other hand ... the 'repair' is to just make it WORK for the new Owner! There's a 0.030" gap between the breech plug and barrel inlet, a 0.040" gap between the lock bolster and the side of the barrel, the frizzen spring is soooooooo durn strong that I'll put it on the rear axle of a Ford F250 instead ... as I can't move the frizzen without using BOTH hands! And yes, with the spring removed the frizzen moves fine.

I can't tell yet if she'll even spark, as a flint just smashes into the frizzen face ... won't even budge it. Overall though it also has a bad, gritty and heavy trigger pull. I've had none such issues with any arm procurred from VA.

Thanks so much leadball loader & flint62smoothie for the kind advice. @Flint62Smoothie wow that is a horror story of a purchase! Good to know, thank you.

Last edited:
Back