• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying manufacturer of Charleville musket repro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmh0630

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I've recently acquired a Charleville musket from a gun shop that acquired it as part of an estate of an old reenactor. It is clearly equipped for a reenactor as it has the leather frizzen cover and the lock has been fitted with a brass flash guard. The problem is I do not know what manufacturer this is. There are no markings of any kind anywhere on the musket. My first thought was an indian made repro, but then I realized after disassembly that it has a two piece stock with the joint hidden under a barrel band. The only ones I've heard about with that stock type are Miroku made of varying quality. Is it possible that that's what this is? Could the reason it has no markings except "Charleville" on the lock plate be because it was defarbed? it is by appearance in great condition. The barrel is bright. There are a few spots of rust here and there but nothing substantial. The seller had no info on it other than it was owned by a reenactor from New Jersey. The lock is strong and sparks well. It has obviously been fired as the leather frizzen cover shows signs of use and so does the frizzen itself. Since this is my first used repro musket purchase that is not bought from a person that is known to me who I know provided me with one that is capable of firing safely, how would I know it's safe to take out to the range? There aren't really many gunsmiths around me and the closest ones that specialize in muzzleloaders are a 2+ hour drive away so I don't have easy access to an expert. Am I ok in thinking because it has a documented history of reenacting and that it looks in quite good condition that it's OK to shoot? I would be firing a reduced charge anyway (workplace shoulder injury that left me with a weakened right shoulder) so please take that into consideration when answering that question.
Also, one final question, When I take the barrel band hiding the joint between the two stock sections off, the 2nd section that would be like a fore end on a more modern gun, seems a little loose and I can move it around just a tiny bit. Is this normal or should I glue/epoxy it back in place? It does not move with the barrel bands on.
Thanks,
Jmh0630

Hello Everyone,
I've recently acquired a Charleville musket from a gun shop that acquired it as part of an estate of an old reenactor. It is clearly equipped for a reenactor as it has the leather frizzen cover and the lock has been fitted with a brass flash guard. The problem is I do not know what manufacturer this is. There are no markings of any kind anywhere on the musket. My first thought was an indian made repro, but then I realized after disassembly that it has a two piece stock with the joint hidden under a barrel band. The only ones I've heard about with that stock type are Miroku made of varying quality. Is it possible that that's what this is? Could the reason it has no markings except "Charleville" on the lock plate be because it was defarbed? it is by appearance in great condition. The barrel is bright. There are a few spots of rust here and there but nothing substantial. The seller had no info on it other than it was owned by a reenactor from New Jersey. The lock is strong and sparks well. It has obviously been fired as the leather frizzen cover shows signs of use and so does the frizzen itself. Since this is my first used repro musket purchase that is not bought from a person that is known to me who I know provided me with one that is capable of firing safely, how would I know it's safe to take out to the range? There aren't really many gunsmiths around me and the closest ones that specialize in muzzleloaders are a 2+ hour drive away so I don't have easy access to an expert. Am I ok in thinking because it has a documented history of reenacting and that it looks in quite good condition that it's OK to shoot? I would be firing a reduced charge anyway (workplace shoulder injury that left me with a weakened right shoulder) so please take that into consideration when answering that question.
Also, one final question, When I take the barrel band hiding the joint between the two stock sections off, the 2nd section that would be like a fore end on a more modern gun, seems a little loose and I can move it around just a tiny bit. Is this normal or should I glue/epoxy it back in place? It does not move with the barrel bands on.
Thanks,
Jmh0630

Miroku’s had a two piece stock, no others.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks,
Jmh0630
A New Jersey gunsmith on the White Horse Pike (Rt.30) in Berlin, NJ, is familiar with muzzle loaders and at one time shot with N-NSA. Joe Winters, Winters Specialties.

I think I read here that the Miroku's have a brass (which is correct) front sight; my Charley does; they're supposed to be very authentic.

They were done both ways depending on the model you’re looking at.

some Charleville’s didn’t have a front sight, they just used a bayonet lug, the 1717 - 1754 models didnt use a front sight.

The 1763 introduced a brass blade front sight on he front band, howler the originals the sight is very small and shallow, not nearly as large as a miroku brass sigh.

Miroku is a pretty good representation of a 1766, a little heavier but still very good.

The biggest issue with a miroku is the stock, the stock is terrible, i would highly recommend it be restocked to either walnut or maple.

Thanks for the info everyone. I did get it looked at it and it was good to go so I took it out to a friend's private shooting range and fired off a few rounds. It functioned perfectly and was a good day at the range. It is a fine piece and I got lucky as I did not know it was a Miroku when I bought it.(It was a gunbroker auction and I took a chance on it) It truly is a fine weapon. The friend whose property I took it to was quite impressed and I let him fire off a few shots as he had never had any experience with a muzzleloader before. Pretty sure he wants one now. The two piece stock did seem a little loose at the joint but I fixed that up easily with some wood epoxy, which seems to have solved it. I'll post some pictures over the weekend. Mine does have the brass front sight in addition to the bayonet lug.

Thanks for the info everyone. I did get it looked at it and it was good to go so I took it out to a friend's private shooting range and fired off a few rounds. It functioned perfectly and was a good day at the range. It is a fine piece and I got lucky as I did not know it was a Miroku when I bought it.(It was a gunbroker auction and I took a chance on it) It truly is a fine weapon. The friend whose property I took it to was quite impressed and I let him fire off a few shots as he had never had any experience with a muzzleloader before. Pretty sure he wants one now. The two piece stock did seem a little loose at the joint but I fixed that up easily with some wood epoxy, which seems to have solved it. I'll post some pictures over the weekend. Mine does have the brass front sight in addition to the bayonet lug.

They are great muskets, but the wood is down right out terrible.

Here are some images of my Charleville. I don't think it's ever been messed with. Its been on my wall for 30 years and in my family since the 1930s. There is nothing on the face of the lock and the texture of the metal looks like the rest of the gun so I don't think anything was ever rubbed off. I will probably shoot this one. Someday.

Attachments

• CH1.jpg
    CH1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • CH2.jpg
    CH2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • CH3.jpg
    CH3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • CH4.jpg
    CH4.jpg