• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hydrogen Peroxide bore cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is usually sterile and you only need a piddl'in amount. I think the Myans used it in the field as a rinse for wounds.

Stumpkiller said:
Happily no one has mentioned using "Jimmy Riddle" so far.
August 1st, 1758 regimental order for the 31st Regiment of foot decreed that:
"No soldier to wash the Barrel of his Firelock in piss on any account."

Spence

First we should make the distinction between pure and industrial grade concentrations of H202 and over the counter 3% solution.

WOW...,

Clyde I am only thinking of Joe Muzzle Loader, who goes to the RiteAid drug store and gets a 3% solution, and uses that right out of the bottle to clean his fired gun, which solution when it comes from the factory, is under 7.0 on the pH scale and checking the MSDS on the silly stuff, has a "corrosive" warning. :confused: Mixed perhaps with an equal amount of water and a tablespoon of baking soda to match the suggestion of the OP.

Sure it's not industrial Hydrogen Peroxide, just like the ammonia the same Joe Muzzle Loader would buy at the same RiteAid drug store is a lot different from the tank on the back of the truck driving down the road near the shooting range that is marked "ammonia" and is carrying anhydrous ammonia. :shocked2:

:haha:

I liked that you pointed out it was basically a crude Oxi-Clean. 'Course NOW we will have to try Oxi-Clean as a bore cleaner.
:thumbsup:

LD

some folks use hydrogen peroxide in their concoctions

We see all kinds of strange 'concoctions' here. hydrogen peroxide does dissipate quickly. No point in using for patch lube. Must be kept in sealed dark bottle and even then doesn't last long. The 3% works for cleaning for my purposes. BTW, it gets hands clean quickly after a lot of bp shooting.

Loyalist Dave said:
I liked that you pointed out it was basically a crude Oxi-Clean. 'Course NOW we will have to try Oxi-Clean as a bore cleaner.
:thumbsup:

LD

I don't recommend using a 3% solution straight...and I defiantly don't recommend using oxi-clean which has 10 times the amount of oxygen....

Loyalist Dave said:
First we should make the distinction between pure and industrial grade concentrations of H202 and over the counter 3% solution.

WOW...,

Clyde I am only thinking of Joe Muzzle Loader, who goes to the RiteAid drug store and gets a 3% solution, and uses that right out of the bottle to clean his fired gun,

LD

I made that distinction because there might be novices out there who, like me, have easy access to higher concentrations.

Only 3% should be used and it should be diluted further....IMO.

Tide is great for many uses....it kills many bugs and makes a great all purpose cleaner. Best example was a white 5th wheel camper I cleaned..it had been sitting next to some pine trees for a few years and one side was almost black. Tide to the rescue...It looked brand new when done. And only took a little over an hour to clean.
Not sure I would want to use it on my muzzleloader though...It is strong stuff, but sounds better than some of the things mentioned...

P.S. keep tide off the wood.

I just use dawn and hot water and something good to scrub with... I find brushes lacking in muzzleloaders since its so hard to run up and down the bore... Copper chore boy is much better. I don't know any better way... Maybe a bit of Windex for a final scrub...

I used a generic "scrubbing bubbles" on my camper. Gee, maybe it would would work as a bore cleaner.

Just kidding Clyde, I'll stick with plain old cheap water.

GOD gave me the easiest cleaner to use and it is free, it runs behind my house in a stream ""WATER""

""THANK YOU""

Back