• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maybe better patch lube option?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic shooter

Decades of bringing worthy orig. ML back to life
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Over the past 60+ years I've used Dawn & warm water to thoroughly clean my BP guns before storing away, never tried this as a patch lube.

My fav patch lube & between match bore cleaner for all those years has been an equal mix of Murphy's oil soap, hydrogen peroxide & rubbing alcohol.
We should never too old to learn..
Relic shooter
Utube video to check out;
Magical Mystery Patch Lube. Gimmick or Real Deal?

Over the past 60+ years I've used Dawn & warm water to thoroughly clean my BP guns before storing away, never tried this as a patch lube.

My fav patch lube & between match bore cleaner for all those years has been an equal mix of Murphy's oil soap, hydrogen peroxide & rubbing alcohol.
We should never too old to learn..
Relic shooter
Utube video to check out;
Magical Mystery Patch Lube. Gimmick or Real Deal?
I had a brand new pair of glasses. Set up for shoot. A bit of your type of mix splashed on the lens. I wiped it off and along with the line came my anti glare and finish.

No, I'd say! I'll tried every witches mix there is and that stuff will never get near one of my guns again.
To patch lube I use was used by the guys I shot with who shot on the international muzzleloader team.
I've been using that lube since 1999.
No grease,stink,cleans up easy, doesn't harm your guns finish. It's a 2 part mix water and the cutting coolant.
Murphy's oil soap is so bad we won't even use it on the hardwood floors in our home.

Apologies for your sunglasses :(
I've always worn prescription glass tinted lenses while shooting & have never had an issue.
They were prescription glasses. That's surprised me for sure that it took that finish off.
And the guy who made my glasses is a shooter also. I did get a new set of lenses because they were warranted.

I'm pushing 82, the 3-part patch lube I've used was given to me by an old-time competitor at Friendship when I was in my 20s.
For many years I was a custom builder & owner of a BP muzzleloading storefronts & collector/competitor with original muzzleloaders & I still preferred this patch lube over all the commercial P/L products I carried on my shelves.
Being a respectful freedom loving American first, I believe we all should have the option to try & use what product works best for us.

Over the last almost 5 decades shooting the holy black I've tried myriad different lubes, homemade and commercial. They all worked, some better than others. The last few years I've used pure bear grease or pure bear oil. It is an excellent lube plus I get enough free bear fat to make plenty each year. I doubt I will switch again at my age. It also makes fluffy biscuits.:p

Commercial lubes that let me shoot for hours without cleaning were Lube 103 (still have a dab of that somewhere) and Wonder Lube 1000. I know that will fire up some people who can't stand them, but I put a lot of lead downrange, especially with the WL, and was happy with it until I tried pure bear. Never had much luck with lubes in squeeze tubes. Blue & Gray sticks in my mind as lousy lube.

WL 1000 worked best for me when applied sloppy thick to the base of the patch when loading at the range. I could shoot all day that way. Using the melt and dip method would still let me shoot 10+ rounds before having to wipe the barrel.

MANY lubes work if you learn how to use them. There is no single "universal" lube that works for everyone in every rifle, just as there is no universal right patch thickness or ball size.

I’ve really enjoyed using Dawn/Water, I always seem to push fowling into my ignition chamber on my percussion cap rifles causing misfires. This is likely user error on my part but the dawn/water keeps me shooting with less frustration as I don’t swab until I fire 10-20 shots and it usually comes out pretty clean

I have reservations that it may be harming my accuracy but it seems compatible to all dry patch lubes I’ve tried.

It’s worked for me but i can’t seem to shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards no matter what I try unless it’s just a lucky group. But I’m not too disappointed with my recent showing at a 50 yard bench match with this combo.

I’ve also tried this combo with a wad as a spacer to prevent wetting any powder with good results.

I’ve really enjoyed using Dawn/Water, I always seem to push fowling into my ignition chamber on my percussion cap rifles causing misfires.
Pushing fouling onto the breech face or into the ignition chamber (patent breech) of a rifle is usually caused by using a jag/ wiping patch combination that’s too thick. Resolve the problem by choosing a thinner material or reducing the diameter of the jag. Best way I’ve found to do that is to chuck it up in a drill and hold it against a file.

Murphy's oil soap thru the ages.
The wife use to run a fairly successful cleaning business.
Yesterday she was cleaning the cabinets off with some Murphy's mixed with water.
She commented on how she used to be able to do four good size homes with one bottle of Murphy's.
She picks the bottle up and she goes look at this! I said yeah, it's just a little thicker than water.
Murphy's used to be fairly thick almost like a jelly. Actually a close but not so close comparison is liquid hand or dish soap.

Darker she replied . I was looking at Murphy's the other day in the store . It's not as dark , now it's like water!
Nothing is what it was and never will be.
Bill

I am a convert to Dawn and water. It was presented to me by a champion shooter of our region. Just enough dawn to make the water feel slick. It doesn't take much.

Back