• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horse Pistol Range Day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody, hope your weekend is going well. I just got back from the Clark Country shooting range overlooking the Las Vegas valley:

kjhgfvcx.jpg

Really excellent range with good facilities and is very safe, they are black powder friendly and the RSO's were really interested in the gun I was shooting!

ftd.jpg

My Pedersoli Harper's Ferry .54 caliber smoothbore percussion conversion horse pistol. What a fantastic gun, it'd been about a year since I'd shot it and the first few shots showed it. I'd forgotten it shoots about 6" high at 10 yards so held right on the bullseye. The next few were flinches, but after I while I settled down and made a roughly 15 shot ~2" group at 10 yards:

kjhgfc.jpg

The load was 40 grains of Graf's 3Fg powder, .015" cotton patches from Ox-Yoke and lubed with their lube, and .520" Hornady round balls. Last outing with the gun I used .530" Hornady balls and .010" patches and it was just way too tight. This combo is nice and snug but not a bear to get down onto the powder. I also had my cleaning jag get stuck in the bore after the first few shots, with a lot of straining I got it out but switched to a standard cleaning kit with .45 cal brush and patches to clean between shots. I need to sand down my jag so it doesn't get caught next time.

A great day indeed. Over 100 degrees but I would rather have been nowhere else. The Strip has its draws for sure, but I'd rather be outside the city roving the Mojave or at the range. Starting to really like the area.

If anybody here lives in town and wants to ever burn powder, hit me up! Take care all. :)

-Smokey-

Thanks, nhmoose!!

I've got a lot more load development and practice to go. Not too bad so far one handed offhand with a smoothbore and only a brass blade front sight, but I know this gun can shoot better, I've gotten groups half that size on occasion.

Latest posts

Back