• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another take on muzzle loading pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve had a nice collection of muzzleloading pistols for a long time…I admire then, but rarely shoot them, so I decided to convert a few to shooting co2,rather than powder..
I’ve also enjoyed air guns, really liking the old air pistols, from 1600’s on..but they’re way out of my price range
so, I’ve converted a few for my shooting enjoyment..
Old air pistols often used a ball reservoir filled with air ,so I made my own, filled them with co2,and came up with a way to use the hammers to strike the valve..
granted, they’re not as powerful as powder guns,but they shoot well, and cleanup is a breeze. for patch material, I use thick garbage bags cut to size..
also, I have made rifled inserts to downsize the calibers… .dual caliber in 45 and 30 cal…
I know they’re not for everyone, but I’m enjoying shooting them.. and cleanup is non existent!
I’ve got several hundred rounds thru each of these…velocities are around 400 for the 445 ball, near 500 on 30 cal..
unfortunatel, the blunderbuss pistol (44Cal) has no sights, so it’s kinda iffy on groups. It does do bird shot fairly well.
I bought the Pedersoli new and converted it…here are a few of my conversions
So, this is what I spend my time on these days
I‘m a new member here and am enjoying this forum
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I believe that I have admired your guns for the last two airgun shows at Hickory NC. I posted pics of them on an airgun forum that I frequent.
I felt privileged to actually hold one, with you permission this year. You are a very talented craftsman.

I know what you mean…I thought long and hard before I started in on one…it was kinda nervy, no plans, just an idea…took a couple days of thinking each step thru…had to lighten the spring a bunch too…
anyway, I’m glad I did it…

Looks like a great way to increases one ability to practice shoot and deal with yard pests where shooting regular loads wouldnt be appropriate. Certainly much more interesting than the majority of air guns.

Whats involved in the conversion? Can you share with us what parts and work are required?

I’ve had a nice collection of muzzleloading pistols for a long time…I admire then, but rarely shoot them, so I decided to convert a few to shooting co2,rather than powder..
I’ve also enjoyed air guns, really liking the old air pistols, from 1600’s on..but they’re way out of my price range
so, I’ve converted a few for my shooting enjoyment..
Old air pistols often used a ball reservoir filled with air ,so I made my own, filled them with co2,and came up with a way to use the hammers to strike the valve..
granted, they’re not as powerful as powder guns,but they shoot well, and cleanup is a breeze. for patch material, I use thick garbage bags cut to size..
also, I have made rifled inserts to downsize the calibers… .dual caliber in 45 and 30 cal…
I know they’re not for everyone, but I’m enjoying shooting them.. and cleanup is non existent!
I’ve got several hundred rounds thru each of these…velocities are around 400 for the 445 ball, near 500 on 30 cal..
unfortunatel, the blunderbuss pistol (44Cal) has no sights, so it’s kinda iffy on groups. It does do bird shot fairly well.
I bought the Pedersoli new and converted it…here are a few of my conversions
So, this is what I spend my time on these days
I‘m a new member here and am enjoying this forum
Mike
Astounding! 😲 Dale

Tough thing to describe…it involves milling a Hole on the bottom of the pistol,up thru the stock and most of the way into the barrel…then I make a brass insert to fit , with threads in it to hold the ball…that’s silver soldered into the barrel…then I bore into the lock side of the barrel for another piece to be put in with screws.that holds the piece that is hit by the hammer to open the valve…I know it’s hard to picture this!
I have pictures of the process,but it may not make sense..
also, I think there might be an easier way to do it, I just haven’t figured it out..every pistol is different,because of the lock placement relative to the trigger and trigger guard..lots of guns do not lend themselves to be converted..
I’ve been lucky and haven’t destroyed any guns yet. But…….it could happen
ill post some construction pics of my process is anyone is interested

Tough thing to describe…it involves milling a Hole on the bottom of the pistol,up thru the stock and most of the way into the barrel…then I make a brass insert to fit , with threads in it to hold the ball…that’s silver soldered into the barrel…then I bore into the lock side of the barrel for another piece to be put in with screws.that holds the piece that is hit by the hammer to open the valve…I know it’s hard to picture this!
I have pictures of the process,but it may not make sense..
also, I think there might be an easier way to do it, I just haven’t figured it out..every pistol is different,because of the lock placement relative to the trigger and trigger guard..lots of guns do not lend themselves to be converted..
I’ve been lucky and haven’t destroyed any guns yet. But…….it could happen
ill post some construction pics of my process is anyone is interested

Thanks! Doesnt seem that difficult to understand as you described it. Pictures would of course help solidify the concept and make it easier to duplicate, and understand what parts were required (links to parts would be great if you have any). Your thoughts on possible improvements would also be welcome, so far you are the pioneer in the home done air conversion of BP arms so far as I know.

Having trouble editing previous post....

Some pictures looking down on the lock area and other modified areas would be helpful, as would any of the barrel out of the stock.

How are you filling the air reservoir?

Ok, heres some pictures of my process and a picture of my New Orleans ace pistol with multi caliber barrels
hooe you can see what’s what from the pics..coupla different guns shown

Attachments

• IMG_3120.jpeg
    IMG_3120.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3126.jpeg
    IMG_3126.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2984.jpeg
    IMG_2984.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3364.jpeg
    IMG_3364.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
What are you using for the air reservoir and how are you filling them?

The pictures are great, thanks! Do you have any showing the end product on the arm the hammer extension hits to activate the shot?

Back