• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another take on muzzle loading pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make the reservoirs and valves, and they are filled from a larger cylinder of co2
here's a percussion pistol I converted , easier to see the striking in this photo, the flint in the next photo shows how I extended the “steel flint” to strike it..

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 0
When I asked at the Hickory show you explained to me how the reservoirs were made by TIG(?) welding two half spheres together then dressing the joint. Fascinating, as is the whole conversion.
My visit with you was well worth the price of admission.

Well I know nothing of Co2 but I do vidley recall a case where one fine Staudenmayer Air gun traded for a very nice percussion rifle both original . Well the new owner oil pressure tested ' hydrolicked it ' as common test of steam boilers only useually water . Well the oil must have deisled while he was shewing it at a clay shoot, it blew of all but two fingers of his right hand drove the cylinder into his chest & took off his left hand . Very touch & go , And he made the' Lanset 'a medical journal .
Didn't stop him shooting he used the remaining fingers and I made him two flint shotguns over the years He shot Twice For England one was at the first US MLAIC matches at Quantico Va . Ime not saying their dangerous but due to the dieseling that one definitely was, A pity it was a nice gun . He lived a normal life there after /considering . Rudyard

I make the reservoirs and valves, and they are filled from a larger cylinder of co2
here's a percussion pistol I converted , easier to see the striking in this photo, the flint in the next photo shows how I extended the “steel flint” to strike it..
Thanks!

What is the material/part source you used to make the reservoirs?

Do you have any pictures of how the air valve is made, or information on parts used in the fabrication?

How many shots do you get on an air fill?

Do we have any information on what twist is appropriate for air guns? Im thinking perhaps in the 36 to 40 cal size, possibly using an orphan TC Hawken with bum barrel, how to make it a useful member of society again, and have a cheaper/quieter yard shooting gun.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, nothing off the shelf is available,so fire up the tools!
there are several manufacturers that sell steel hemispheres in various diameters..wall thickness is a big deal for strength..I use sharpe products. They have a wall thickness of around .130 which is strong enough for my needs (in smaller diameters).. I have to make a threaded insert for the valve.then all that is welded together,and finished and blued. The valve is threaded and matched To the particular gun I’m converting,so valve stems and valve diameters vary..i pressure test all of the balls to 4500psi, and of course leak check…
I can get 10-15 shots per fill on average …
I’ve made many airguns, and using barrels available to me give me good accuracy…not bench rest, but certainly good enough for general shooting at appropriate distances, 15-35 or so yards
I’ve had good luck with muzzle loading barrels,as well as others..ive bought used 50 cal black powder barrels cut and bored them out and used a smaller caliber insert…
the Pedersoli pistol I converted shoots patched 45’s well, and I made a 30 caliber insert for it that uses 304 ball, and 30 cal airgun pellets…great shooter!
I hope this helps…
One of the pistols I converted is called a horse pistol(I think) an Italian make from the 60’s…it was in great shape, and looked to be shot very little..it’s in 30 caliber,and I’d guess I have over 300 rounds thru it…probably way more than it ever fired as a powder burner…

Latest posts

Back