• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range Pistol Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so this probobly dosent really cout because it is only 50 yards but i find it interesting that my 50yrd plates I am much more consistant hitting the 5"x6" rectangle than I am the 6" circle plate. unless my math is completly bonkers the 6" circle is more surface area and a 5x6 rectangle? whatever it is my eyes focus on the rectangle better.

so this probobly dosent really cout because it is only 50 yards but i find it interesting that my 50yrd plates I am much more consistant hitting the 5"x6" rectangle than I am the 6" circle plate. unless my math is completly bonkers the 6" circle is more surface area and a 5x6 rectangle? whatever it is my eyes focus on the rectangle better.
The corners on the rectangle are snagging hits that the circle is missing as a cone of dispersion for any group of shots is more circular than rectangular in shape.

Last edited:
that may be but i get a lot of nice centered hits on that plate and its only 5 inches wide and 6" tall whereas the circle is 6" everywhere. i think its a better shape for my old eyes to focus on.

you guys are smart! I don't know that the extra 1.75 makes as much of a difference for me as the shape and the psychological comfort of shooting at a target that has more leway for elevation mistakes than windage mistakes.

trying to bust a stretched string with a bullet is much easier if the string is up and down rather than horizontal.
actually it's not so easy any which way!

The limitation here is going to be the round ball. A long, relatively high sectional density pistol bullet like the Keith bullet or LFN is going to preserve more of its velocity, stability and accuracy over distance.

it certainly seems to me that .490 RB out of a 10" bbl drops off really quickly after 75yrds.

Back