• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help!!! stuck jag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use an easy out and take the vent liner out.Then put in some powder. Put the new vent liner in place. LEAVING THE screwdriver slot in it.
Prime the pan and shoot it out.
This is why I leave the screwdriver slot in the vent liner and lube the threads on all my flintlocks.
You don't need to take it out often, but it sure makes situations like this much eaiser to resolve.
Good luck. Let us know how you made out.

Set the gun muzzle down in the corner overnight. It there is any oil left in the breach it will drain forward and be absorbed by the patch. It it is wd-40 it is dry already. Then go ahead and trickle powder in through the vent whole and shoot it out before you bugger everything up and kick yourself for messing up your gun. Ask me how I know!

I'm voting for the trickle some powder in and shoot the jag out. I've had dozens of rifles come into my shop with the same type of problem and that technique has never failed me. I just go out back and shoot the thing into the ground.

Storm

drill the liner hole next size up and do the trickle powder in trick. it will come out and not much powder is required, 10 grs or so.

I got it out!

Took the gun to a machine shop and had the vent removed. Used a grease gun to pump out the obstruction. Thanks for all the advice guys,
I am truly relieved to have that out of the barrel.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions on getting the grease out of the barrel?

Thanks again.

Put a patch on a jag and push it out through the vent hole before you put your liner back in. Please be very careful not to stick another jag in the bore. Initially you won't need a super tight patch to get the bulk of the greas out.

Latest posts

Back