• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken, not Hawkin, not Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good! We certainly could omit many written vowels and still be intelligible.The various Arabic languages do just that and the Arabic peoples have no problem communicating.

The Hachen, Haga and finally Hawken families {the same family, different spellings} were German speaking Swiss immigrants....Haugen is a Norwegian surname.

Some members of this Forum use bad grammar and mis-spell words and I say....so what? They're still understood and that's the important thing.

Asre English {American} spelling....blame the French for our non-phonetic language. In a "logical", phonetic language, spelling classes shouldn't even be necessary.

Esperanto was a successful attempt at creating an artificial language that was wholly phonetic and very logical....but,the spirit of nationalism in most countries prevented it's adoption......Fred

flehto said:
Esperanto was a successful attempt at creating an artificial language that was wholly phonetic and very logical....but,the spirit of nationalism in most countries prevented it's adoption......Fred
........except by noted frontiersman William Shatner.

I saw that strange movie with the space cap'n speaking the big E about 3 months ago.

Yep... It could have used a Hawken in it, or maybe two or three of 'em.

Just the thing to blast them succubi out of existence.

Claude said:
I've never seen so many rationalizations and excuses for poor grammar and misspelling than in this thread. No wonder kids are doing poorly in school today, if this is what they have at home. :wink: :haha:

Seems like the "fat lady", excuse me sir, has sung.

Arguing this is like arguing how to pronounce pecan, tomato, potato, etc, who really gives a damn.

Claude said:
I've never seen so many rationalizations and excuses for poor grammar and misspelling than in this thread. No wonder kids are doing poorly in school today, if this is what they have at home. :wink: :haha:
The advertising industry also thinks it's great sport to invent words that can then be copyrighted. As computers get to where they can tell "wreck a nice beach" from recognize speech, standards for spelling, and talking as well, will have to be firmed up.

Richard Eames said:
Claude said:

Arguing this is like arguing how to pronounce pecan, tomato, potato, etc, who really gives a damn.
I guess everyone who posted in this thread? :wink:

A quote, often misquoted :shocked2: and attributed to many different people :confused: , T. Jefferson being one says: "It is a sorry mind that can find but one way to spell a word".

After reading this thread I have decided to sell my Hawken rifle.

you ewe should sell it this is all your yor you're ya'lls fault there they're their is not much else you ewe can do due

American English is a dynamic language...always in a state of flux. Because of this, "American" is spoken by people in many countries and in technology vocabulary, we're the world's leader and most of our new "technical" words and terms are adopted worldwide.

This process of adding new words to the American vocabulary wouldn't be possible in some languages because of their rigid structure. American English is a very versatile language and can assimilate many different changes as evidenced in vocabulary and useage that weren't in exsistence a few years ago.

I also think our constantly changing language displays a trait of the American people.... we're willing to accept new ideas.

Rigidness in thinking doesn't tolerate "changes" and some bemoan the adoption of new words and terms while I think it's a healthy sign.

If this country were to "phoneticize" our language, the spelling accuracy would improve greatly....spelling wouldn't be necessary and we therefore could eliminate mundane spelling classes in the earlier years of school.

Personally....I don't care how we spell or use grammar....just so it's intelligible....Fred

Cynthialee said:
I have never believed the fallacy that poor spelling is the sure sign of a lack of education. That is a silly mistake.

Actually, it's not a mistake. Although not the only one to be sure, there is a high correlation between spelling and speaking correctly with education. A good one at least. Demonstrating giving-a-damn is right up there too. It may or may not be a sign of intelligence -- different issue.

You draw conclusions about people all the time -- the way they speak, and write, is amongst the most immediately telling. ...right up there with their bathing once a month whether they need it or not!

Alden said:
Although not the only one to be sure, there is a high correlation between spelling and speaking correctly with education. ... You draw conclusions about people all the time -- the way they speak, and write, is amongst the most immediately telling...
I agree. Although some may think it's clever to spell words however they wish, being able to communicate well is valuable skill in the job market. As the world becomes more technical, precise communication becomes even more important.

Like birds of a feather, there's a correlation between levels of education and pay scale. If course, if one doesn't care about that, then it's a moot point.

Claude said:
Richard Eames said:
Claude said:

I guess everyone who posted in this thread? :wink:

04-09-14 03:37 PM - Post#1384797

In response to Richard Eames

Richard Eames Said:

Claude Said:

I've never seen so many rationalizations and excuses for poor grammar and misspelling than in this thread. No wonder kids are doing poorly in school today, if this is what they have at home.

I guess everyone who posted in this thread

Richard Eames said:
You are comparing apples and oranges.

People may not be able to help how they pronounce something, but they should all be able to adhere to the accepted spelling in the dictionary. That is, any educated person. I realize that some don't even know how to use the dictionary and it shows. (Present company on the forum accepted)

Jack Wilson said:
Richard Eames said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.

People may not be able to help how they pronounce something, but they should all be able to adhere to the accepted spelling in the dictionary. That is, any educated person. I realize that some don't even know how to use the dictionary and it shows. (Present company on the forum accepted)

I hit send when I was typing, a bit early, sorry.

I worked as a trainer for years.

Written communication is important, spelling and sentence structure is important.

I really do not care how a person pronounces pecan or potato, can you spell it and write a complete sentence is what matters.

As trainers we were taught to write at a 6th grade level, that is a crying shame.

I had one of the finest welders work for me I have seen and he asked, can you get me a job. I can get you an interview, all you have to do is pass the simple mental test. He was granted the interview and test, he failed the mental test.

I had one guy who begged to go to work for me, I took him on. One of the requirements of working for me was the 4 basic fundamentals of math and reading a tape measure. He was a great worker and had great work ethics, but he could not perform as needed. I found him another job which he was able to perform.

My point has been missed.

I don't think anyone here is talking about pronunciation. I know I'm not. (But it might come up in a job interview, depending on whether the position involved dealing with other companies or the public)

When many of us were in school about every home had a dictionary (how can i look it up if I can't spell it? lol). We were docked points in English for grammar and spelling. Today, with windows spell checker, the other internet technology etc I would not be surprised to find kids that not only have no access to a dictionary, many wont know what it is?? 90% will be helpless in a "real" library.

Still Hawkens or Hawkins, for the forum here, we all know what both are and both are the same?? I don't correct all mistakes all the time here, for those I annoy...SORRY

Wow, we really went from the spelling of the name Hawken to this?

English, long before American English has always been dynamic and adaptive.

Spelling is important for proper communication as someone pointed out with the computerized word recognition example.

Here is a strange example on how much our English language has changed in about one thousand years and even this example might be considered either vulgar or highbrow to the original speakers of it because of abbreviations, contractions, or slangs that they might have used in their time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wl-OZ3breE

It still sounds fairly Germanic in a fashion because that is how the English language at that time adapted to other cultures and technologies.

Literature and media are full of examples to where slang, seldom used words, poorly spelled words and even accents are written for the benefit of the reader or listener of the work.

I am not an English teacher, or any kind of linguist, but when being introduced to both Latin and Greek written and spoken there were different types of those languages depedent in context on how they were used.

I do not speak or understand either in real depth.

When an actor has to play a certain character, they sometime have to read improperly spelled words and present them with the ability to sound natural to the people being represented.

One day that actor might play Appalachian mountian folk, another it would be a highly educated and cultured professor in a British university.

Both characters could possibly be of equal intelligence, yet one would certainly be more highly educated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back