• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failure of CCI#11 caps firing on first hit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Edick

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with all the nipples avaiable for my Pietta 1860 Armies with the CCI #11 nipples now available with not good results. On most of the nipples three of five only fire on the second cycle but with the Tresso zero fire after three cycles. All my mainsprings are stock and was looking for information on what weight are the standard Pietta springs. Tried internet searches with no luck. VTI offers lighter springs which I am not interested in but would like it try a heavier spring. I shoot CAS with my revolvers for over 12 years with no issues using the Remington #10 caps but CCI #11 just are junk in my use. My single shot rifles they work great but not on any of my six revolvers. Any help would be appreciated. Bill

I put slixshots on both of my revolvers due to 11's being more available (sorta). Never an issue. 51 Navy, 60 Army both stock pieces.

Huh, I’ve never had a prollum with Treso nipples. They decorate all that I own. Interesting.

When it takes more than 1 strike to set off a percussion cap, but they do eventually go off, the most likely cause is the diameter of the cone that is preventing the cap from fully seating and thus making a sort of cushion for the cap. The cones of a nipple are not that hard. Get a couple of nuts of the proper thread pitch (probably 6-0.75 metric) to hold the nipples in an electric drill to file or stone few thousandths off the diameter.

The tip of the cone should be about 0.155" in diameter tapering to about 0.165" where the skirt ends as the priming compound seats on the top of the nipple.

You can try to reshape the nipple cones or buy a set of slixshot nipples.

We can see from the chart that the Remington #10 and CCI #11 have the same ID. The Remington caps seem to have more priming compound and a longer skirt. Trim the nipples for a better fit with the CCI caps.

1714476930060.png

Latest posts

Back