• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease Hole Filling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
I figure that tallow was his patch lube, why else would he have it on a bear hunt?

Probably was his patch lube, but tallow could also be used for rust protection and waterproofing moccasins as well.

Yes but a patch box only holds not so many patches. Many more dry patches can be stored in one's bag, and a quick swipe across the grease hole is all that's needed. Seems like the grease hole could lube scores of patches before needing to be refilled. It is also a much less expensive thing to have added to a rifle even today.

The more I read on them and consider them, the more I'm thinking on having my next rifle with a grease hole.

I think a tallow hole is a Southern thing, but I could be wrong. That's the only place I've seen them, at any rate. Lard has a lower melting point than tallow, but not significantly lower. Lard has a lot more housekeeping cooking uses than beef tallow, although there weren't as many beeves. I don't know about bear grease.

Huh this has been a interesting thread.

I never considered having the lube itself in the patchbox.

Makes me wonder about all the uses people had for the patchbox/cap box.

I've seen references online to people putting tools and spare parts in there, patches and now the lube itself.

Smokey Plainsman said:
Yes but a patch box only holds not so many patches.

That is because in the day it wasn't considered a "Patch Box" More so just a... Box!

Flints, leathers, spare this and that were kept in the box area along with ones tallow if he so had chosen to do so.

Hopefully Spence will chime in, but me personally I have never came across hard documentation of the little area being reserved or mentioned as strictly being a patch box.

Latest posts

Back