• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Lube Recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum, @Thekingd93 !

I remember reading a while back in the memoirs of a leading shooting expert how he got his start in reloading, using black powder for an S&W double action .44 Special unmentionable. He made a viscous slurry of Ivory soap, swished his home-cast bullets in it, and let them dry.

Notchy Bob

I bet that he had the cleanest bore in the country!!!

Casting some Lee R.E.A.L 250 grain bullets for my TC Hawken .50 cal. Looking to make a batch of homemade bullet lube. I've seen all kinds of methods on YouTube, melting wax toilet rings, mixing Vaseline with bees wax and crayons in a pot. What is the cheapest and most readily available recipe with household ingredients? I have allot of grease in the drip bucket on my bbq smoker maybe that will work if I heat it up and filter out the small food particles with cheesecloth? Grease is Grease to me.
Honestly…my personal favorite lube for conical bullets is 2/3 lambs tallow & 1/3 bees wax.

For patched round balls, I use moose milk, great for target shooting in mild weather and hunting in early fall…but when it gets cold, when it’s deep winter, and I’m hunting…I use that same ole lambs tallow & bees wax recipe as a patch lube…so yeah, there yuh go…

Back