• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so any one who has read my posts should know by now I am a dedicated spit patch guy, shoot all day no wiping between shots, however I do have a curious mind and you all have me wondering about lubes.

So, Saturday I plan to shoot my Chambers Virginia rifle at the range and I think I will try shooting all day with a lube instead of spit.

I have, (yes they are all pure) lamb tallow, mink oil, Crisco, Ballistol, olive oil, SPG, bees wax, no bear or whale oil and probably a couple of others I am not thinking about. You accumulate a lot of stuff after 40-50 years.

In your learned opinions, which of these could I shoot 40-50 shots or so accurately WITHOUT WIPING between shots? If I have to wipe it is unacceptable.

The mix of one part water soluble oil (Ballistol) and 4 to 10 parts of water. I use 7 parts of water. Its about the consistency of spit with a bit of slickness and a bit of oil. 4 parts of water will make the lubricant a bit slicker and keep the fouling soft. The use of a well dampened patch of the oil and water mix will push the fouling down to the powder charge much like a well dampened spit patch. These are not so much soluble in water but they do emulsify well in a good mix. I'm using a very old bottle of NAPA water soluble cutting and grinding oil.

With respect to Grenadier1758's comment, my offering is not a "learned opinion," but something I witnessed and it seemed to work fairly well for those that used it. They seemed to shoot time and time again without swabbing their barrels.
They were using a misting coolant/lubricant, normally used in machine work, to wet-out patches. I don't know of a particular brand they were using, but it's on the order of Kool Mist #78. These guys liked it because it was synthetic - free of chlorine and sulfurs, it was a concentrate that could be diluted (up to 10 :1) with water and could be dribbled onto a patch easily with minimal mess.

Last edited:
20211110_174910.jpg

GOOP Original Waterless hand cleaner. It does not freeze in barrel or cause rust from salty saliva. Contains lanolin. Side benifit is that you can clean your hands afterwords. I’ve shot 20 rounds from 40 cal to 58 caliber without loss of hunting accuracy. Rub it into the patches and put in a tin.

The lubes and their efficacy depends on other criteria in the mix. The patch thickness, type material, barrel condition and other variables. Spit patch works very well but Hoppes BP Patch Lube does too; and Hoppes is what I use at the range. Using Hoppes I've never had to wipe a bore before cleaning for the day. In the bush after game, large or small, I use mink oil. I'm lazy nowadays and won't use anything I have to mix together myself.

Woody, "Personal" lubricant..........

You sir are going to get us permanently banned from posting
ram the charge down with a cleaning patch

No wiping between shots?? Just asking.

I watched an older experienced Flintlock shooter over here years ago, he was a consistent Match winner both Rifle and Smoothbore, and produced top quality Muzzle Loaders.

So on the day I stood back and watched his style and it struck me, every time he reloaded he'd withdraw the ramrod with a soiled Patch on it. He'd ram the charge down with a cleaning patch over the top of the patch and ball, as it withdrew the bore was cleaned every time.

Since that day I've always followed his example and recommend it to others.

You mentioned the supplies on hand, get too mixing, I make my own, bees wax,crisco, or rendered fat from a deer or bear, olive oil, if you want it too smell nice a few drops of flavoring oils that are used for making candy. Works well as a patch lube,lip balm,chapped rough hands. No flavoring and also can be used as a leather dressing. Dont want too walk around with mocs that smell like spearmint or cinnamon. Never understood using modern stuff as a patch lube.

OK....
So, my schedule changed and I ended up going to the range yesterday instead of today and with all due respect to Grenadier's 4:1 Ballistol water mix I ended up using straight mink oil (I have used before but only one or two shots in hunting type situations)

I fired 20 shots without wiping and I did blow down the barrel as is my habit. After about the second shot it loaded with about the same resistance to pushing the ball down for all subsequent shots and the accuracy was very good.

I think I could have continued shooting but time constraints limited me to 20 shots.

I think I have found what I was looking for, but will probably experiment more when time allows.

Thanks to all for all suggestions.

Back