• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandsons first harvest!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.Habermehl

45 Cal.
Reaction score
One year or so ago I built a mini trade gun for the grandchildren. .45 cal smooth bore. Sized for the average 10 year old. 10 year old Skyler and I were taking advantage of the mentored youth hunting regulations. He and I were out this morning despite the windy conditions. We were out about 1/2 hour when we heard a squirrel rustling in the leaves. I hadn't seen it yet but Skyler had... I had him rest the gun toward the squirrel across his knees. Then the squirrel obligingly runs up a tree trunk at 25 yd. Here's your shot buddy, I said. He raises the trade gun and tries to rip the trigger off of the gun. Ya have to pull the hammer the rest of the way back I told him. He gets the hammer back aims and fires. The flintlock booms and 3/4 oz of number 5s is on the way. The squirrel falls as cleanly as could be asked. He hands me the gun and trots to the squirrel. The grin on his face was priceless. I took some pics with my phone in the woods but have not figured how to get them out of it. BJH

Great story and congratulations! The only way this tradition stays alive is to pass it on to the next generation!

Nice job PAP!

I still remember hunting rabbits with my grand dad. and I'm old enough to be one now!

Greg

Years from now he will look at his children and his grandchildren and say, "my grandpa taught me this". Sweet memories for you both.

Back