• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Sherriff got it done!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was told not to try, but I had to see. My goal this year was to take a deer with each gun I have, starting with black powder. After a summer of working up the load and practicing with my Pietta 1858 Sherrif I knew I would have to have a 25yd broadside shot with time to get a good aim. So, I made the decision to carry it for my secondary as most shots would be around 50yds. Then I would have it with me if the opportunity presented itself.

I didn't get to sit for the season opener due to being in S. Carolina. But I sat all day yesterday and most of the day today. At 1:05 a young buck stepped out and turned up the holler toward me. Once he reached 30 yds I moved from the caplock rifle and drew my revolver. I knew there was a chance of him presenting the shot. Either that, or he would walk another day.

As he approached the 25 yd opening in the fence and turned broadside, he paused. The Sherrif was loaded with 30grains of 777 3F, a dry wad, a cast Lee REAL, lubed with Bore Butter, and a homemade cap. I pulled the hammer from half to full cock, decided on my shot, and let the hammer fall.

The bullet struck high shoulder, in the brachial quadrant, dropping him where he stood. The shot was dead on.

He was small. But my family and I are about to enjoy some fried backstrap. And, I had a clean harvest of a deer. Not to mention, it was my 1st with a pistol. And the Sherrif proved some fellas wrong.

Attachments

• 20231121_185934.jpg
    20231121_185934.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 5
That's great Sparkplug. I've had an itch to hunt deer with a bp revolver for some time. Thanks for posting this and congratulations.

Not that it matters much with your buck, dead is dead, but I'm curious enough to ask about penetration. Did the bullet exit him?

Good job, Skychief
I recovered the bullet just under the hide on the opposite shoulder. Little deformation other that where it hit bone.

I knew it wouldn't have the power for a big buck. But with my aim point it had plenty to drop him at that range.

Attachments

• 20231121_192459.jpg
    20231121_192459.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
those backstraps will be cut with the fork tender! outstanding!
in almost 65 years of shooting deer i have never gotten a spike. would take one now in a flash! (no pun intended)
I normally would have let him walk. But a deer that small presented a better chance at a clean harvest. He still had plenty of meat. And yes. I cut them with a fork!

Very cool! Congrats!! I may have missed it but is that a .36 or .44 cal.?

I was told not to try, but I had to see. My goal this year was to take a deer with each gun I have, starting with black powder. After a summer of working up the load and practicing with my Pietta 1858 Sherrif I knew I would have to have a 25yd broadside shot with time to get a good aim. So, I made the decision to carry it for my secondary as most shots would be around 50yds. Then I would have it with me if the opportunity presented itself.

I didn't get to sit for the season opener due to being in S. Carolina. But I sat all day yesterday and most of the day today. At 1:05 a young buck stepped out and turned up the holler toward me. Once he reached 30 yds I moved from the caplock rifle and drew my revolver. I knew there was a chance of him presenting the shot. Either that, or he would walk another day.

As he approached the 25 yd opening in the fence and turned broadside, he paused. The Sherrif was loaded with 30grains of 777 3F, a dry wad, a cast Lee REAL, lubed with Bore Butter, and a homemade cap. I pulled the hammer from half to full cock, decided on my shot, and let the hammer fall.

The bullet struck high shoulder, in the brachial quadrant, dropping him where he stood. The shot was dead on.

He was small. But my family and I are about to enjoy some fried backstrap. And, I had a clean harvest of a deer. Not to mention, it was my 1st with a pistol. And the Sherrif proved some fellas wrong.
yeaaa. i like that very much. you done good. thank u for sharing this with all of us. yes sir brother you and your pistol did good.

Either you have a lot of freezer space or not enough guns.
I have plenty of both. We rarely buy meat. But I also provide meat for my mother, a local children's home, and another local family. Between what I hunt myself and what is given to me by other hunters I usually process 10-15 deer per season.
But then again, can you really have enough of either? Lol!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back