• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Sherriff got it done!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kieth shot a .44mag. totally irresponsible shot but i don't doubt that it happened. he also shot and eagle out of the sky with a .44mag. I have watched videos of Jery Mikluk ringing steel at 1k yrds with modern revolvers.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a small caliber to others, but I'm not using a small diameter high speed varmint round. Ive killed bears with the same caliber I shot that deer with. The stars just didn't line up that day. I can live without venison, but I hate wounding an animal..
Right. I know s fellow who hunts with a 223 AR. He loses deer but swears by the caliber. I got no use for such guns.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a small caliber to others, but I'm not using a small diameter high speed varmint round. Ive killed bears with the same caliber I shot that deer with. The stars just didn't line up that day. I can live without venison, but I hate wounding an animal..
same here. it bothers me a lot to make a bad shot on an animal. takes a few days to get over it but always will remember it.

We are like "Sparkplug" rarely buy meat, wife doesn't like deer or elk but will eat buffalo. That said I go with old friends of 40-50 years on deer or elk hunts as camp cook. And take them once a year on our primitive buffalo hunt in Kansas on a private 21 section ranch. The owner usually has a herd of 65 to 75 buffalo and his prices are reasonable for a primitive hunt, this is where lots of pictures are taken for the non-hunters. I personally like an animal in the 1,200 to 1,400 lb. range, that's plenty of meat for the family. You can figure you will have half that weight with the meat in the freezer. We have friends that will buy close to half of what was brought home from the butcher plus will have the fat, bones, hide and a head for mounting all for sale. I use to render the fat, brain tan the hides and have the heads mounted and sell the bones to the craft guys. Fun times ...

You are probably wondering what we use for weapons on primitive hunts - personally carry two guns, one rifled and the other a smooth-bore. I try to get within 75 - 86 yards for my first shot (lots of ground work crawling) use the rifled gun first and get ready for a second shot at 45 - 50 yards with the smooth-bore. In our last dozen hunts I have used rifled guns in .54 - .58 calibers (all GRRW built) and for smooth-bores .54 - .60 caliber (custom builders).

The next hunt I will be using a pair of Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association guns, the rifled gun was built Les Bennett (a rifled H.E. Leman Trade Rifle in .54 cal. and a smooth-bore Leman Trade Gun by Doc White in .50 caliber).

h_e_le10.jpg

Fun Stuff for an old man.

I get a chance later today I'll post a few pictures of hunting these animals.

Last edited:
absolutly. and he wrote about it in field and stream.. he took the shot because it was so far away he thought there was no chance of hitting the eagle..

That thers a federal offense IINM
This was done before the Federal law came into being. Back then folks were trying to save the chickens and other small farm animals from predators in the sky, Back before the tge chicken industry supplied all our needs from under the roof of a monstrous building holding tens of thousands of birds.

My Aunt relayed the story of her Mother, my Grandma, pinning down a "chicken hawk" that swooped into the barn yard after her chickens with a metal pail. She then requested her very small daughter to bring a stick of firewood to hit the hawk in the head, which she did. This was in the 1930's. Times were tough and preserving the food supply was paramount.
Nowadays food comes from the grocery store and all is well with the world.

I grew up on a farm. Farmers kill anything and everything they think might mess with their crops or critters. we called red tail hawks chicken hawks though I never ever saw one take a chicken...

I grew up on a farm. Farmers kill anything and everything they think might mess with their crops or critters. we called red tail hawks chicken hawks though I never ever saw one take a chicken...
I can promise you they do. Had several of my chickens killed by red tailed hawks. I saw them do it. They may not take a chicken unless its a small one, but they darn sure will kill one.

Back in the mid 1960's lived in a rooming house with three other guys, the old lady that owned the place was on the first floor, She kept an eye on her boys (we were her boys) and guarded the yard, chicken house and our vehicles in the alley. Never gave it much thought until late one night we heard a loud bang outside.

All of (her Boys) were up and searching to see what the noise was about. We found our home owner out in the back yard with a dead coyote she had shot with an 1860 Colt Army revolver (still a cap and ball gun). A few of the neighbors came over to see what was going on (this is in town of building built at the turn of the century.

Two of the (boys) were local police officers, one called the dispatcher to stop sending anyone over. One neighbor told us our landlady could shoot pop cans off a post at 20 yards with that old revolver.

We were told she has shot hawks, rats and this coyete with the trusted old Colt. Later she told us it was a gift from an uncle that served in the war, never said which war.

Fun times living there, always something going on.

No doubt that the Red tail hawk can take a chicken but in the 1960s and 70s there were so few of them after we got done shooting and poisoning them I never saw it happen. Same thing with foxes. Maybe saw one the whole time I was growing up on the farm. Coons and weasels a different story. They went on a few killing sprees. I fixed those problems with my single shot 20g Winchester.

No doubt that the Red tail hawk can take a chicken but in the 1960s and 70s there were so few of them after we got done shooting and poisoning them I never saw it happen. Same thing with foxes. Maybe saw one the whole time I was growing up on the farm. Coons and weasels a different story. They went on a few killing sprees. I fixed those problems with my single shot 20g Winchester.
The bad part is, it’s now a federal offense to kill a hawk. So I suppose we are to accept the fact that they can kill our animals and we are not “supposed” to kill the hawks that killed our animals.

its really not that much of a problem. raptors only take one meal at a time. weasels and coons on the other hand will go on killing sprees and clean you out. so will foxes. My sister has more troubble with her bronther in laws dog killing chickens than any other predators...

Back