• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Sherriff got it done!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading through all the replies. The O.P. knew his weapon of choice and he knew it well. Plus he absolutely knew his effectiveness at that range !
I would rather see hunters like him in the woods. Than the overpowered gun people who can't shoot their weapons accurately and only shoot them a couple of days before season. These dudes wound far more animals than the SKILLED people who know their weapons limitations.
Oh and as far as certification. It really doesn't take much effort to get them..!
Last but not least it's his tag NOT yours and he is entitled to shoot what he wants. Long as they follow their states regulations. JMHO
well said sir

Thanks for the kind words.
Since you were more than respectful I will answer your question. Or, rather, rephrase my statement and tell you why.

I want to hunt one with each of my capable guns this year. The weakest of which was my BP revolver. I have a lot of small caliber unmentionables and pneumatics that I wouldn't even consider dropping a deer with. I am very proficient with all that I own, and wouldn't hesitate to take a shot with any of them, so long as an ethical shot presented itself. I practice precision shooting on a regular basis and will only take a one shot drop on game. I hunt squirrel with airguns because there is no longer a challenge any other way. It forces me to practice both precision and patience.

As for the why? I just wanted to see how far I can get through my collection just to do something different for myself. It's not egotistical as another insisted. It's just something to do that is well within my skills and abilities.

Happy Thanksgiving!
hey sparkplug went out hunting tree rats with a slingshot.guess what lol. i missed everyone i shot at. went to mcdonalds that night. my grandpa shot rabbits and tree rats. he was good.told him about my hunt. he just grunted and said. boy u go hungry with that slingshot go get your rifle.he amazed me. really miss him

wish i had a steak or backstrap from every deer killed with a 25-20, 32-20, or 30 carbine. all on par with the OP's ballistics.
the sour grapes sounds like what we experienced in the 60's when using a stick and string. sure glad that never caught on, there would be millions of deer dying in agony each year.:ghostly:

I went back and read the OP's first post.
I am sorry, but i must now join the "lets crucify him" group.
Bore Butter! everyone knows it will make your gun rot!!!
I tried a few homemade recipes and some other store bought lubes. But when I was working up the most accurate load it was the one that gave the best consistency for that gun/load.

I went back and read the OP's first post.
I am sorry, but i must now join the "lets crucify him" group.
Bore Butter! everyone knows it will make your gun rot!!!
Been using Bore Butter on and in all my ML( long guns and pistols)for over 25 years no problems of any kind.

It's amazing that the round you fired killed that deer. We are in our regular rifle season here (unmentionable). I had a nice 8pt step out last Tuesday at 75yds. I shot him broadside ... in the shoulder about half way from top to bottom.. when he didn't drop I was dumbfounded. When I didn't find him just inside the woods, I was even more dumbfounded. No blood no hair. Went back the next morning with a friend to grid search for a carcass. No sign of the deer. I had a witness to the shot as well, who agreed that the deer was hit hard. No venison for me.

I even season all my bores with it. Lol

I have one rifle that won't accept any other lube. .36 bobcat. Nearly had it bored to a .40. now I see with a ridiculously thin patch saturated with butter butter it shoots the 1" group needed for squirrels.
Only bad side is cold weather, learn to put the tube in my upper pockets, prelubed patches are not bad in the cold
I even season all my bores with it. Lol

I have one rifle that won't accept any other lube. .36 bobcat. Nearly had it bored to a .40. now I see with a ridiculously thin patch saturated with butter butter it shoots the 1" group needed for squirrels.

No sign of the deer. I had a witness to the shot as well, who agreed that the deer was hit hard. No venison for me.
Sometimes the Lord takes cares of his bears and other predators in strange ways. No worries, He will see that you get beef an the ol bear is sleeping sound in his den with the deer he needed to get through whatever winter we gonna have!! It happens. Chin up.

Oh and I'm sure our nay sayer would interject here that you should have been carrying enough gun to get the job doneLOL NEXT YEAR!!

Back