• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock in the rain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebiggs said:
Shooting in very windy conditions is more difficult to me than wet, rainy conditions. I don't know about Alaska but Kansas is a windy place!

Oh yeah! According to the weather service we've got moving air 93% of the time here, and the average wind speed is well over 10. It's a steady 25 out there right now with gusts- pretty typical this time of year.

I hear what you're saying about being hard, too. Not only do you have to shield the pan from rain when you're priming- You have to keep the wind from blowing it away.... Maybe that's why 2f works so much better for me. At least it has a chance of getting into the pan before it blows away. Can't tell you how many times I've primed with 4f and had an empty pan before I could drop the cover! :rotf:

Nebraska is a bit windy as well so I can relate to the 45-50 mph gusts and the 30+ steady winds. I was shooting recently and the GPR lit the FFg prime as usual, except the puff of flame and smoke was about 4" to the right of the pan, no boom. I don't remember reading about that particular problem in any of the old writings.

"I don't remember reading about that particular problem in any of the old writings."

I ain't never read it either but I have seen it!

Flintlocks and wind is one of the bigger reasons the Percussion cap system gained wide favor.

It takes a pretty stout breeze to blow a cap off of a nipple. :grin:

Coat the lock surfaces (not the frizzen face or flint)) and barrel flats with a thin wax so water beads off.

There are some compounds that permit water to bead off of powder. Such as Lycopodium powder. When mixed a small portion with prime powder, the water will bead off the powder.

Make sure the pan to barrel flat fit is very tight as well as the frizzen fit to the pan and barrel flat. I kept a piece of greased leather tied to the trigger guard on one side by a leather thong and on the other side by a single piece of easily broken thread. If game is sighted flip the leather off the lock and fire.

Back