• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished my British style Fowler (pic heavy)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ Longbeard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally finished the scratch build of my new British fowler. I made my pattern based on the BS#5 and BS#11 fowlers in Tom Grinlades book and added some of my own touches. I kept it fairly simple as this is my new hunting piece. Its a 16 ga. 44" barrel with steel furniture and measures 59-1/2" and weighs about 7.5 lbs. Now for Wabbit season! Deer season! Duck season! Hope you enjoy the pics! Ed

Barrel: 16 ga. 44" colerain fowler oct. to round
Lock: Jim Chambers English Lock
Blank: Wayne Dunlap straight grain American Walnut.
Steel Furniture: TOW butt plate and trigger guard.
Self made : RR Tubes, Rear entry thimble, trigger, front sight, side plate and the hickory ramrod.
LOP: 13"

Pattern and blank
Patternandroughblank.jpg

Bandsawing blank
Bandsawingstock.jpg

Setting the breech
Inlettingthebreech.jpg

inletting barrel
inlettingthebarrel1.jpg

inletting the barrel by hand
inlettingthebarrel2.jpg

Inleting the lock
100_2501.jpg

Making side plate
sideplatejigsawed.jpg

finished side plate before engraving
sideplatefiled.jpg

shaping stock
100_2541.jpg

inlet butt plate
100_2538.jpg

Shaping the stock
100_2540.jpg

making rear entry thimble
FINISHEDSHAPERET.jpg

inleting rear entry thim.
inlettingrearentrytube.jpg

Finished gun
100_2660.jpg

Finished gun
100_2662.jpg

Muzzle
100_2663.jpg

Finished gun
100_2671.jpg

Finished gun with the bag and powder horns I made this summer
100_2658.jpg

Critique welcome hope you all enjoyed the pics Ed

Nothing to critique that I see. What I do see is a very nice gun. Love the long tear drop moldings at the rear of the lock panels and your choice of BP and TG. Nice work all around.

Your efforts resulted in a fowler that begs to be picked up and shot. Looks very user friendly. Have never made a MLer from a walnut blank but even straight grained walnut seems to have "something" that even curly maple doesn't have. Excellent workmanship and a beautiful gun....Fred

You guys totally amaze me.........how you can take a few parts, some scrap metal and a board and when you are finished you have such a Masterpiece! My hat is off to you all! :thumbsup:
Macon

Nice job. You build much? it looks like you have some experience. The only thing I can nick you on is the transition of the wrist into the buttstock, I'd prefer to see it dished out in that area and the wrist to appear to carry further into the buttstock.
Looks like a nice slim forestock, nice lock panels too. Really a great job, should be a fun gun to shoot. :thumbsup:

I know. I am sick with envy. That is soooo amazing. The parts kit I'm building is giving me fits just to make it look like a gun. I don't expect any thing as nice as that. You true builders have my admiration :bow: .

Thanks Mike, I know what your saying about the wrist. I did question carrying the wrist further into the butt stock, but chickened out .I will make that adjustment on the next fowler build. This was my second build, 1st fowler. My last build was copy of Verners bucks co. LR. Thanks Mike.

NJ Longbeard said:
Thanks Mike, I know what your saying about the wrist. I did question carrying the wrist further into the butt stock, but chickened out .I will make that adjustment on the next fowler build. This was my second build, 1st fowler. My last build was copy of Verners bucks co. LR. Thanks Mike.
Well, you're doing great! Keep on building, they always keep getting better! :thumbsup:
What are you building next?

nice work Longbeard, she's a beauty
2thumbs.gif

was noticing the time stamps on your pictures, and am impressed with your ability to move backwards in time -
that's taking this craft seriously !
bowdown.gif

LOL Meteorman, I was waiting for someone to pic that up. I forgot to reset the time and date after replacing the batteries. Wish I could turn back time to the mid 18th century sometimes especially with todays world! :hmm:

Very nicely done.

Wait, this is only your second gun? Make that better than "Very nicely done." :applause:

You have a future, keep up the good work, handle as many originals as you can.

That's a great looking piece. Really enjoyed the build pictures. Sure puts things in perspective as to the work and skill involved. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Back