• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 M'lers that I would NOT want to part with, 1st is my trusty old 54 cal Jim Bridger Hawken,2nd is my 62 cal/ 20 gauge North West Trade gun and lastly, My 54 cal Reading Penn. rifle ...These are and have been my lasting favorites. I've went through MANY M'lers throughout the years.

I don't have it any more but the best shooting gun and the gun I enjoyed the most was a north star west old English 20gauge with a 42" barrel. I built it from a kit and shot it for years. my kids now shoot it and it is still going strong.

Depends on the use.
I like my 18 pound FL match rifle for rest matches.
I have a 3 FLs in the 10-11 pound range that I like. 50-54-67 cal.
If I am shooting a match at 400 yards or more I use something that will reach out and touch things with a bullet with a .600 BC.
If I am shooting the CMP J.C. Garand match I have another favorite for that. :grin:

I don't own a ML smooth bore.
There is no one gun that does everything well, its impossible. Though a 45-50 caliber RB rifle is pretty close where MLs are the subject matter. This will work for small game and kill deer and even larger game well with proper shot placement.
54 to 69 is better for big game from the standpoint of killing but lead cost rises rapidly over 54 caliber. 69 uses a ball around 480 grains for example and its really a special purpose gun.

Dan

My two favorite muzzleloading guns in the 70’s were the Navy Arms Brown Bess Carbine I competed with in Northwest Trade Gun Matches and re-enacted with as there was no one making a copy of a Sergeant’s Fusil in those days and “The Dollar Rifle.” My best friend in life won that rifle with a pouch and double set of horns in a raffle where he bought a single ticket costing a dollar, so that was how it got its name. A good friend of both of ours built the rifle with a Siler Flintlock, .45 cal. straight Douglas barrel and in the style of a Golden Age rifle. It always shot better than I did.

I finally had to trade the Brown Bess Carbine away towards a full length Pedersoli Bess in the late 90’s/early 2000’s when I got into doing the Black Watch. So it makes the choice of a favorite gun easier.

My best friend in life passed away a few years ago and left me “The Dollar Rifle” as he had said he would for so many years. My eyes are no longer good enough to shoot it well, though I treasure that rifle more than any other muzzleloader I own. Not sure which one of two Great Nephews I will leave it to when I pass and I hope that is not REAL soon so I can chose well. Grin.

Gus

My .36 caliber southern flintlock squirrel rifle.

42" A-weight swamped barrel, premium maple stock,small queen anne pistol lock, all browned furniture. A nice light weight good shooting squirrel rifle.

I'll properly be buried with it unless one of my nephews show an interest in flintlocks, in that case it will be passed down to one of my nephews.

My .54 Hawken made for me by Davie Boultinghouse. It was my first and has been with me for over 35 years, never once let me down.

Don Bruton southern iron mounted rifle. Burton 62 cal barrel 38 inch. Caywood wilson lock. :hatsoff:

I went shooting my .40 cal. SMR again today, maybe 30 times? Its a blast and since I've figured out the recipe to shoot 15+ times without wiping its become a joy to shoot. If certain parts of my computer hadn't crashed I'd post some pictures.

My favorite gunne is my Centermark tulle 20 gauge that is the first f/l I bought. I now own several others. All rifles it took a few years to be able to afford any more. Rasining a parcel of kids lol. As I was the only guy shooting a smoothie at the time I always had to shoot it against rifles took a long time to win any matches. Still my best hunting gunne for the last 35 yrs. Just a rant

What a fun Thread. But a really tough question, as most of us on this Forum own more than one gun. :hmm: As for me, I can't pick just one. But I can pick two, since they cover most shooting situations.
1. .54 Caliber Early Virginia style rifle built by Brian Lakotas.
2. 20 guage English Fowler/Officers Fusil built by Mike Brooks.

Great Thread. Always fun to see others guns. Rick. :hatsoff:

Gosh, that's a tough question. It's almost like asking which is your favorite kid. For asthetics, I prefer my .40 cal. Flintlock Lancaster and my Boltinghouse half stock caplock .54 cal. plains rifle. Actually, it has prettier wood and metal than my Lancaster but I like the looks of a flintlock long rifle so much better. For offhand shooting, I prefer either my .45 cal. underhammer or my .54 cal mule ear caplock full stock plains rifle. Both are quite accurate enough and so much lighter than my other guns. As I get older, the weight of a rifle becomes more and more important.

Of all of my rifles, the Boltinghouse is the most accurate. It is a real tack driver but it is so dang heavy. It feels like carrying a railroad tie around. But you put that sweet thing on a bench rest and it really shines. I have a target that I have saved that has five shots at 50 yards that are one hole. No, I can't do that all the time but that is because of me, not the rifle. The rifle can do it every time but this old fart can't.

I'll tell you this, you guys certainly have a rich history... some of those fine old guns are breathtaking.

Back