• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current favourite is my 40 cal half-stock Ohio. But when my 45 cal Maryland full stock is finished, that will take the "top spot".

Fickle, yes - but been married three times - change is good and every once in a while you need to "trade models", even if it's just for another used one :rotf:

I've been married three times too. However it's been 34 years with my last & best one. As for my favorite rifle it's the one in my hands at the time and I'm looking down the sights. Hard to take sides when one has two dozen more or less ranging from .32 to .69 caliber.

Now if I had to rescue only one gun from a catastrophe, it would be my mid 1800's J Withers mule ear over/under 40.cal rifle over .600 smoothbore.

j923pv.jpg

Sorta like asking me which one of my critters I like best.

They all have their niche.
I can't rightly say which gun would be my favorite.
The 1851 fantasy .44 is very high on my list. It is a very capable firearm in its range limits.

A smooth rifle is hard to argue against if the ranges you shoot at are no father than 70 yards.

Shooting .50 rifles has me spoiled on them. Powerful enough to do the job and the recoil is well within my acceptable range.

Tell you what, let me burn some more powder and I might get this figured out.
:grin:

i buried my little brother with his favorite deer rifle and his rod&reel. He was just fixing to be 21 years old. And thats why i say his t/c renegade .50 is my favorite gun even though I've never shot it. He bought it new and shot it 6 times and two of the shots were nice fat doe kills, i even have his box of maxi balls that he got with the rifle, its minus 6 shots. He bought it the last week of primitive weapon season in 87 and was killed in june of 88 by a drunk driver.

glrerun said:
What is your favorite gun:
Caliber or Gauge and why
Barrel length and twist

Photos welcome

I ask this question in an attempt to learn, but it is a great chance to brag

I have a couple that are dear to me. But to pick one? That would be my Hot Rod Renegade.
It is a TC Renegade with a 50 cal GM 1-28 twist barrel. It has Lyman 57 SML peep sights and a Lyman 17 AML globe sight with a Lee Shavers BPCR insert. The load is a Paper Patched lee 500 S&W bullet.
This rifle is accurate to 300 yards, but for hunting I stay under 200. This load is devastating to game from Antelope to Elk. The Gun is a pleasure to shoot and will be a part of my family for a very long time. I will hand it down to my Son and from my son to his.
The Rifle also has a look alike fast twist 45 cal barrel to interchange, and shoot a 409 gr Paper Patched RCBS 11 mm rifle bullet. This is truly an awesome rifle. As you can see this rifle has impacted my life immeasurably Here are your pictures of me and my son.

Flatlander2.jpg

2009buck05-A.jpg

Jacobs2011doe1small.jpg

Jacobshunt11.jpg

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

My current go to is a Dixie Tennessee Mountain in 50cal that I bought used in early 80's. Pretty much been shooting it exclusively for the last couple of years. Some say they are muzzle heavy but it fits and suits me fine.

"Beware the man with one gun"

My new SMR in .40 cal. has become my favorite rifle. It light on the recoil so you can shoot 40 times without feeling like you've been through a meat grinder. I plan on changing out my .50 cal. barrel in my deer rifle for a .45 cal. this summer because as I've gotten older that .50 caliber just pounds me in hamburger after 10 shots at the range so I do not enjoy shooting it anymore.

In Flintlock will be my 50cal TC Hawken until I figure out which 20ga smooth bore Flintlock kit to build I would like to have next.
Then I can leave all the modern rifles and shotguns at home.

Well, since this is my only one for now, it is my Tom Knight trade style .50. This rifle is a fantastic piece and I will have Tom build me a smoothbore when funds are available. Then it will be a toss up! :grin:

My favorite is from a Jim Chamber's kit, and is a 20 gauge fowler. The big lock fires every time and the 46 inch barrel holds a good pattern, even with no choke. It points instintively, and balances well. I just like the looks of it, and it weighs less than 7 lbs.

Glrerun, it is a Traditions Kentucky rifle bbl that is 35" w/a 1:66" twist.

At the moment my favorite is the new North Star West Chief's grade 20 gauge that I got a couple weeks ago. I live an hour and a half from them so I picked it up in person. Still working up the best load for it but I'm loving it!

My most favoritest gun is a Northwest trade gun with 30" x 24 guage barrel. It was made by...

...North Star West, Inc. :grin:

It is beat up, looks like heck with a couple of repairs to the stock and was made with second rate parts that were too good to throw away but not good enough to sell. The "Barnett" stamp is spelled wrong. But he shoots great and fits me perfect. Guns come and go but I will never part with this one.

I just posted a thread about my favorite rifle, Fearnaught in the photos section. :grin:

IF I had to get rid of everything else, I don't think that I would part with my little .58 Zouave "CW carbine" (and my double Minie-ball mold for 530 grain CB) as it shoots better than I do at 67YY. - It's "A KILLER" on hogs, WT & most anything else in TX.
(Btw, I refuse to argue with anyone again about what my Zouave should be called.)

Now, if I could find some more tins of caps at a DECENT price!
(Note to "Wes": NONE in Buda, the last time that I went up to Austin.)

yours, satx

The only gun I've ever considered a "favorite" is my Cabin Creek Pa "Mountain Rifle" in .54. Sure, I've had rifles and shotguns that I enjoyed shooting, still do, as well as black powder rifles and guns... but until I got that particular flintlock I couldn't say I had a "favorite".

LD

Wow, this is a fun thread, i'm totally enjoying all the great pics of beautiful guns. And in the spirit of the thing, I'll add one of mine that has long been a favorite. It was made my Tim Johnson of Indiana and I bought it from Track of the Wolf a number of years ago. It has never once miss-fired on me and shoots a heck of a lot better than I can aim. Here's a couple of pics....Mick C :hatsoff:

Back